The Potez 58 was a family of French light utility and touring aircraft, developed in mid-1930s. They were three-seat single-engine high-wing monoplanes.
|Role||Utility and touring aircraft|
|First flight||7 March 1934|
Design and development
The plane was a further development of Potez 43 family, tracing its roots from Potez 36. An airframe changed little from Potez 43, main difference were stronger engines. A prototype Potez 58 first flew on 7 March 1934. In September 1934 the first serial variant Potez 580 was flown, powered with 120 hp radial engine Potez 6B. There were built 80 of this variant. An air ambulance variant was also evaluated.
There were next built several small-series variants, differing with the last digit in designation. The second variant built in a significant series was Potez 585 – 108 built.
Mixed construction strutted high-wing monoplane. Rectangular two-spar wing, with rounded ends, supported with V-shaped spars. Wings were equipped with slats on 1/3 span. Closed cabin with three seats. Radial engine in front, with a Townend ring, two-blade propeller. Conventional fixed landing gear, with a rear skid, wheels in teardrop covers.
French Air Force operated 99 Potez 585 as liaison aircraft.
- Potez 58
- Potez 580
- First series variant of 1934, 89 kW (120 hp) Potez 6B engine; 80 built.
- Potez 582
- Potez 584
- Variant with 89 kW (120 hp) de Havilland Gipsy Major I straight engine; 4 built in 1935.
- Potez 585
- Liaison and utility aircraft, 97 kW (130 hp) Potez 6Ba engine; 108 built.
- Potez 586
- Four-seater variant; 10 built in 1936–1937.
Specifications (Potez 585)
- Crew: 1
- Capacity: 2 passengers
- Length: 7.44 m (24 ft 5 in)
- Wingspan: 11.3 m (37 ft 1 in)
- Height: 2.36 m (7 ft 9 in)
- Wing area: 19 m2 (200 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 515 kg (1,135 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 906 kg (1,997 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Potez 6Ba 6-cylinder 2-row air-cooled radial piston engine, 97 kW (130 hp)
- Propellers: 2-bladed fixed-pitch propeller
- Maximum speed: 190 km/h (120 mph, 100 kn)
- Cruise speed: 160 km/h (99 mph, 86 kn)
- Range: 750 km (470 mi, 400 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 6,000 m (20,000 ft)
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Parmentier, Bruno (29 November 2010). "Potez 585". Aviafrance (in French). Retrieved 13 December 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Potez 58.|