|Open||28 June 1882|
|Close||30 January 1926|
|Track gauge||3 ft (914 mm)|
|Route length||1.85 miles (2.98 km)|
The Portstewart Tramway Company, formed by a group of local businessmen, built the Portstewart Tramway in 1882 to link Portstewart to Portstewart railway station on the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Coleraine–Portrush railway line.
The tramway went into liquidation in 1897 and was purchased for £2,100 (equivalent to £234,000 in 2018) by the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway. They invested in the tramway providing some additional passenger vehicles and a new steam tramway engine. A new depot was constructed in Portstewart by the railway engineer Berkeley Deane Wise in 1899, at the southern end of the promenade, opposite the Town Hall.
The service ceased on 30 January 1926. A replacement bus service was provided by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway
- The Golden Age of Tramways. Published by Taylor and Francis.
- UK Retail Price Index inflation figures are based on data from Clark, Gregory (2017). "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)". MeasuringWorth. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- The industrial archaeology of Northern Ireland, William Alan McCutcheon, Fairleigh Dickinson Universite Press, 1984