Port of Escape
|Port of Escape|
Australian daybill poster
|Directed by||Tony Young|
|Produced by||Lance Comfort|
|Screenplay by||Barbara S. Harper |
Abby Mann (additional scenes)
|Based on||short story Safe Harbour by Barbara S. Harper|
|Starring||Googie Withers |
|Music by||Bretton Byrd|
|Edited by||Peter Pitt|
|Distributed by||Renown Pictures Corporation (UK)|
Two sailors, one Australian and one American, are kicked off their ship when it docks in London and are involved in a fight outside a dockside bar leading to a man's death. They go on the run and hide on a barge that belongs to three women. The two men plan to travel to Missouri, the home state of the American, but not all goes to plan.
- Googie Withers - Anne Stirling
- John McCallum - Mitchell GilliS
- Bill Kerr - Dinty Missouri
- Joan Hickson - Rosalie Watchett
- Wendy Danielli - Daphne Stirling
- Hugh Pryse - Skinner
- Alexander Gauge - Inspector Levins
- Ingeborg von Kusserow - Lucy
- Ewan Roberts - Sergeant Rutherford
The Radio Times gave the film three out of five stars, and noted "The skilled performances of John McCallum and Googie Withers and an atmospheric treatment of the London Docks setting give this modest melodrama a considerable lift...An obscure director, Anthony Young, lets the pace slacken occasionally, but overall this is an intelligent and offbeat work that deserves to be better known and probably owes much to its producer, Lance Comfort, an able director in his own right."
- Goble, Alan (8 September 2011). "The Complete Index to Literary Sources in Film". Walter de Gruyter – via Google Books.
- "Port of Escape (1956)".
- "Hugh Pryse".
- "Port of Escape – review - cast and crew, movie star rating and where to watch film on TV and online". Radio Times.