Port au Port West-Aguathuna-Felix Cove

Port au Port West-Aguathuna-Felix Cove is a small town located on the Port au Port Peninsula of the Island of Newfoundland, Canada. The nearest large service area is Stephenville.

Port au Port West-Aguathuna-Felix Cove
Town
Port au Port West-Aguathuna-Felix Cove
Location of Port au Port West-Aguathuna-Felix Cove in Newfoundland
Coordinates: 48°33′37″N 58°46′01″W
Country Canada
Province Newfoundland and Labrador
Incorporated1970
Population
 (2016)
  Total449
Time zoneUTC-3:30 (Newfoundland Time)
  Summer (DST)UTC-2:30 (Newfoundland Daylight)
Area code(s)709

The town was created in 1970 by amalgamating the small villages of Port au Port West, Aguathuna and Felix Cove. Its post office began on September 11, 1964. The first Post Mistress was Reisa Gabriel.

Aguathuna

The area grew from workers at the nearby limestone mine site at Jack of Clubs Cove. The Dominion Iron and Steel Company opened a quarry there in 1911. The quarry's manager, Arthur House, wanted to rename the cove from Jack of Clubs Cove as it would never have been treated with serious respect. The then Archbishop M.F. Howley suggested Aguathuna believing it to be a Beothuk word for white stone. That name was chosen by residents over the other alternative, Limeville.[1]

See also

References and notes

  1. Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador, Volume Four, (p 386 - 388) ISBN 0-9693422-2-5

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.