Pondicherry University (French: Université de Pondichéry) is a central university in Puducherry, India. Founded in 1985 by the Government of India, the university is a collegiate university with jurisdiction spread over the Union Territories of Puducherry, Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Université de Pondichéry
Seal of Pondicherry University
|Motto||French: Vers la Lumière|
Motto in English
|From Darkness, towards the Light!|
|Chancellor||Venkaiah Naidu, Vice President of India|
It has 50,000 students in its 90 affiliated colleges including 10,000 students in the distance education mode. The current strength of students studying on-campus stands at 6,500. It has introduced innovations like the Choice-based Credit System and on-line admission for postgraduate studies.
Function and role
Teaching and research are its primary functions as in other Central Universities. It has affiliated colleges located in Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahé, Yanam and the Union Territory of Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The Pondicherry University Act, 1985, under the central government.... Pondicherry University reached the pinnacle of its growth during the XI plan when Prof J A K Tareen was the Vice Chancellor. It became India's fastest growing central university with 300% all round growth in Students, Faculty, Infrastructure, Teaching programmes, Research projects, and students seeking admissions. The Faculty are from 22 states and students from 30 states and union territories. Some of the Socially relevant achievements of XI plan are rent free hostels to girls, Free education and free hostels to all physically challenged, free transport to students,100% disabled friendly buildings and special library for visually challenged. In 2012 Prof Tareen received from president of India, the best Institution award for PU.
Pondicherry University is located in a campus spread over 780 acres (320 ha), facing the Bay of Bengal on the East Coast Road. It is accessible from Chennai (168 km) and Bengaluru.
Silver Jubilee Celebrations
The valedictory of the silver jubilee celebrations of Pondicherry University was held on 18 October 2010. Dr C Rangarajan, Chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India, delivered the keynote address. Lt Governor of Puducherry, Iqbal Singh, who was the Chief Rector of the University, was present at the function. Professor J A K Tareen,Vice Chancellor presided over the function. Souvenirs (coffee mug and desktop calendars) for students and faculties were given out and a brochure was released to mark the event. Prof J A K Tareen, Vice chancellor was the architect of the Coffee Table Book and other souvenirs. The Silver Jubilee Campus on 110 acre extended land is yet another marvel created by Prof J A K Tareen providing over a million square feet of extra space for Social Sciences, Humanities, Media, and Languages, who were for 20 years squeezed in pigeon holes in one building.
The university library, named after Ananda Ranga Pillai, was established on September 1986 with one deputy librarian and two assistant librarians. It was moved to the present locale as an independent building in July 1990. The Library is renowned for its disabled friendly modern infrastructure (80,000 sq. ft), fully air-conditioned, WIFI enabled, services for the Visually Challenged among the proactive services with RFID technology and 24/7 remote access to a collection of 4.97 lakhs, of which print is 2.22 and 2.7 lakhs of e-resources (e-books, e-journals, e-databases, e-theses, Academic Online Videos, Video Talks etc.)
Community Radio Station
The "Puduvai Vaani" is a Community Radio Station established by Pondicherry University with the support of UGC, New Delhi. It works under FM 107.8 MHz a frequency which is currently extended to a catchments area of 20 km radius from the University campus. The test transmission in our Puduvai Vaani – Community Radio Station was started on 23 August 2008. This was yet another initiative by Prof J A K Tareen. It was inaugurated by Shri V Narayanasamy, Hon’ble Union Minister of State for Planning & Parliamentary Affairs on 27 December 2008 in the presence of Shri P Chidambaram, Hon’ble Union Home Minister. The full-time transmission started on 1 January 2009 onwards. The full-time transmission is going on air from 1 January 2009 onwards.
Puduvai Vaani has been started with an aim to make awareness among the people to improve their nature of life style. Puduvai Vaani is the public broadcaster to awaken, inform, enlighten educate and entertain all section of the people including the programme on women empowerment, communal harmony, health and education. It also brings out the hidden talents of the students in and around the University campus. CRS also includes its service on the practical session for the students of Department of Electronic Media and Mass Communication. Furthermore, students from other departments are encouraged to participate and create radio programmes for the community.
Unique features of Pondicherry University 1.100% Wi-Fi enabled campus 2.100% power backup 3.100% network of campus 4.Library with remote access 5.Most sophisticated Laboratories & Instrumentation 6.All buildings with Ramps & Lifts 7.Solar Lights 8.Free State-of-the-Art Day Care Centre & Kindergarten 9.24 hours Hospital & Ambulance facility 10.State-of-the-Art sports facilities 11.Rent free hostels for women students 12.Free education to differently abled students including boarding & lodging
Schools, departments and centres
The entire Academic structure was reorganized during the tenure of Prof J A K Tareen who not only established over 20 new departments,established new school and started over 80 new programs.It was during XI plan when the university broke all records with 300% growth in every sphere including infrastructure, students, faculty, research output and was rated top ten in the country with NAAC accreditation of A grade. Professor Tareen's term is labelled as the Golden era of Pondicherry University.
Subramania Bharathi School of Tamil Language and Literature
- Tamil Language & Literature
School of Management
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Economics
- Department of Tourism Studies
- Department of Banking Technology
- Department of International Business
- Department of Management
- Department of Commerce
- Department of computer science
Ramanujan School of Mathematical Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
School of Engineering & Technology
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Centre for Pollution Control & Environmental Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Geological Technology
School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Applied Psychology
School of Life Sciences
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Ecology & Environmental Sciences
- Ocean Studies and Marine Biology (Port Blair)
- Food Science & Technology
- Centre for Bioinformatics(BIF)
- Department of Microbiology
School of Humanities
- English and comparative literature
- Physical Education & Sports
- Escande Chair in Asian Christian Studies
School of Social Sciences and International Studies
- Politics and International Studies
- Social Work
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Madanjeet Singh Institute of South Asia Regional Cooperation - Centre for South Asian Studies*
- Centre for Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy*
These centres were established during XII plan when Prof J A K Tareen was vice chancellor.
School of Education
- School of Education
- Centre for Adult and Continuing Education
School of Medical Sciences
School of Media & Communication
- Library & Information Science
- Department of Electronic Media and Mass Communication
Madanjeet School of Green Energy Technologies
- Centre for Nano Science & Technology
- Centre for Green Energy Technology
Central Instrumentation Facility
The Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF) was established in the university as the University Science Instrumentation Centre (USIC) in 1992 under the UGC Plan Scheme. It housed three facilities – Mechanical Shop, Glass blowing Shop and Electrical Shop, to provide support in the repair and servicing of scientific equipment. Fabrication of components for experimental setups is undertaken.
The USIC has executed design, development and fabrication works ranging from custom designed sample holders/cells to electronic instrumentation and control modules.
In 2005, the centre was reorganised into Central Instrumentation Facility under the School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences and analytical instruments are added to provide analytical service, in addition to the workshop facilities.
The Mechanical workshop is equipped with heavy duty lathe, milling machine, vertical drilling machine, welding units, sheet bending machine, shears in addition to hand tools, accessories and measuring instruments. The department has fabricated sample cells, metallic and non-metallic elements for sample handling/preparation, acrylic column stands, fume hoods, and an acid distillation unit.
Glass Blowing Shop
The Glass Blowing Shop repairs glassware and fabricates customised glassware. It is equipped with burners, lathe, grinding machine, annealing furnace, and tools.
The Electronic Shop has laboratory test and measuring instruments, soldering stations, and component testers, to trouble shoot faculty instruments and set them right. Electronic components are maintained in the store for quick replacement.
Assistance is provided to students in wiring and testing the circuits for their experimental or project work. Design and fabrication of instrumentation and control modules are taken up to meet customised requirements.
University halls and accommodation
Hostel facilities are available on the campus for boys and girls. Students from distant places will be given preference on a first-come, first-served basis. The university has a hostel for foreign students that can accommodate more than 30 students. Girls are given rent free accommodation. All physically challenged students get free education including free board and lodge in hostels. The university provides free transport off the campus and within the campus.
- C V Raman Research Scholars Hostel
- Subramania Bharathiar Hostel
- Bharathidasan Hostel
- A S C Hostel
- Ilango Adigal Hostel
- Tagore Hostel
- Kamban Hostel
- Valmiki Hostel
- Kannadasan Hostel
- Kalidas Hostel
- Kabirdas Hostel
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Hostel
- Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad Hostel
- Aurobindo Hostel
- Yamuna Hostel
- Cauvery Hostel
- Saraswathy Hostel
- Ganga Hostel
- Kalpana Chawla Hostel
- Madame Curie Research Scholars Hostel
- Women Studies Hostel
- New Girls Tower Hostel (active from 2019)
- Transit Hostel
- Foreign Student's Hostel
The hostel is used by South Asian, European and many more countries students, taking programmes like PG in South Asian Studies and French, German and others.
Student clubs and activities
SPECTRA- Pondicherry University (LGBTQIA support organization)
SPECTRA has been working to increase queer visibility and awareness in the university campus and beyond. It also provides a safe space for LGBTQIA students to share their experiences and discuss issues faced by the community. SPECTRA was founded on 15 August 2014 and has been conducting events ever since. One of the first Campus Pride events in India was organized successfully in 2018 at Pondicherry University by SPECTRA.
Earth Sciences Club of Pondicherry University
The Earth sciences Club was founded on September 2013. It conducts field trips, screen documentaries, organize debates, quizzes, treasure hunts and so on so forth. It is also involved with organising the annual event "Mrittika" in Department of Earth Sciences.
Mrittika is an inter-college event organised by Department of Earth Sciences in association with Earth Sciences Club of Pondicherry University. In March 2015, it was organised for the first time. Events included quiz competition, paper presentation, poster presentation, photography competition, fun games etc.
hashinclude club, a weekly meet-up club organised by Master of Computer Application students which focus on problem solving skills in programming. The club had its inception in the year 2017. The language of choice is C, the students are free to code in any language of their choice. They host an online competition in HackerEarth in each semester and the winner is awarded with a prize.
PUQS (Pondicherry University Quiz Society)
The students have started the Pondicherry University Quiz Society (PUQS) in June 2012. The Quiz Society will enhance the knowledge of the student community and will help in preparation for competitive exams like UPSC, Bank PO etc. The inauguration of PUQS was held on 1 August 2011 in Pondicherry University/Lecture Hall Seminar-I. The event was inaugurated by Director of Education of the Pondicherry University, Prof M Ramadass. The first quizmaster of the show was Nikhil Kurien Jacob. The tagline of the Quiz Society is "It's all about Quizzing."
Pondicherry University Maths Club
The Pondicherry University Maths Club was inaugurated on in July 2011. The club encourages students to take up research in mathematics. The club activities includes seminars by students and eminent professors, mathematical workshops, quizzes, fun with mathematics, and paradoxes.
Reflections is an annual event hosted by the Department of Physics. To honour Sir C V Raman and his contributions to the scientific world, India celebrates 28 February as the National Science Day.
"Reflections" is the programme celebrated on National Science Day to bring out the talents of young minds. It popularises science through events, competitions and sharing of ideas.
IMPACT is a students technical association in Department of Electronics Engineering. A National level technical symposium is being organized by students of Electronics Engineering under IMPACT association once in every academic year.
List of affiliated colleges
- Achariya Arts and Science College
- Dr B R Ambedkar Institute of Technology
- Arignar Anna Government Arts College
- Avvaiyar Government College for Women
- Bharathidasan Government College for Women
- Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam
- Dr S R K Government Arts College
- Idhaya College of Arts and Science for Women
- Indira Gandhi College of Arts and Science
- Jawaharlal Nehru Rajkeeya Mahavidyalaya
- Kanchi Mamunivar Centre for Post Graduate Studies
- Mahatma Gandhi Government Arts College
- Mahatma Gandhi Government College
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Government Arts College
- Rathnavel Subramaniam College of Arts and Science
- Saradha Gangadharan College
- Tagore Arts College
- Tagore Arts College (Annexe)
- Villianur College for Women
- Dr Ambedkar Government Law College
- R V S College of Engineering and Technology
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Bharathiar College of Engineering and Technology
- Pondicherry Engineering College
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering and Technology
- Regency Institute of Technology
- Sri Venkateshwaraa Medical College Hospital and Research Centre
- College of Nursing
- Kasturba Gandhi College of Nursing
- Mahatma Gandhi Dental College and Hospital
- Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute
- Mother Teresa Institute of Health Sciences
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Veterinary Animal Sciences
- Regional Medical Research Institute
- Vector Control Research Centre (ICMR)
- Achariya College of Education
- Alpha College of Education
- Arutperunchothi Ramalingasamy College of Education
- Co-operative College of Education
- Don Bosco College of Education and Research Institute
- Immaculate College of Education
- Krishnasamy College of Education for Women
- Mahe Co-operative College of Education
- Mother Teresa BEd College
- Nehru College of Education
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar College of Education
- Pope John Paul II College of Education
- Regency College of Education
- Senthil College of Education
- Sree Narayana College of Education
- Tagore Government College of Education
- Vasavi College of Education
- Venkateswara College of Education
- Vivekanandha College of Education
- Shri Krishnaa College Of Engineering and Technology, Mannadipet, Puducherry
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Engineering College
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital
- Manakula Vinayagar Institute of Technology
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Nursing College
- Usha Latchumanan College of Education
- Venkateswara Teacher Training Institute
- Acharya College of Engineering & Technology
- Alpha College of Engineering
- Sri Ganesh College of Engineering and Technology
- Dr S J S Paul Memorial College of Engineering & Technology
- Indira Gandhi Medical College
- Sree Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College of Agriculture and Research Institute
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2019)||301-350|
|Times (World) (2019)||801-1000|
|Times (Asia) (2018)||251-300|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2019)||72|
|NIRF (Universities) (2019)||48|
Pondicherry University was ranked 801-1000 in the world by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2019 and 251-300 in Asia. The QS World University Rankings of 2019 ranked it 301-350 in Asia. It was ranked 72 in India overall by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2019 and 48 among universities.
- "Vice-Chancellor | Pondicherry University". www.pondiuni.edu.in. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Stats". Pondiuni.org. Archived from the original on 24 April 2015. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Pondicherry University -About University". Pondiuni.org. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Kavita Kishore (22 August 2011). "MSc Astrophysics at Pondicherry University". The Hindu. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Distance Learning and Vocational Instruction: Need, Impact and Challenges" Archived 26 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine, ICDE conference paper Nov 2005
- The Hindu, 21 August 2006 "Pondicherry University launches online admission for postgraduate courses"
- "Ananda Rangapillai Library". Pondicherry University.
- "Prospectus 2018-19" (PDF). pondiuni.edu.in. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "Breaking Barriers Within The Campus: First Ever Pride March in Pondicherry University".
- "Pondicherry University Quiz Society". Puquizsociety.hpage.com. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- M. Ramadass
- "Affiliated College of Pondicherry University".
- PONDICHERRY INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (A Unit of Madras Medical Mission
- "QS Asia University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "Top 1000 World University Rankings 2019". The Times Higher Education. 2018.
- "Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings (2018)". The Times Higher Education. 2018. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.