Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works
The Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works was a railroad equipment manufacturing company founded by Andrew Carnegie and T.N. Miller in 1865. It was located in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh and since 1907 part of that city.
It repaired an early locomotive known as Bausman's Rhinoceros in April 1867. Starting in the 1870s under its superintendent and general manager Daniel A. Wightman, it became known for its production of large locomotives. Its engines were shipped around the world, including India and Japan.
By 1901, when Pittsburgh had merged with seven other manufacturing companies to form American Locomotive Company (ALCO), Pittsburgh had produced over 2,400 locomotives. In March 1919, ALCO closed the Pittsburgh facility.
Preserved Pittsburgh locomotives
|Serial number||Wheel arrangement
|Build date||Operational owner(s)||Disposition|
|1592||4-6-0||1898||Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad Class F-100 #82. Sold 1907 to Canadian Equipment Company and used on the construction of the National Transcontinental Railway, Canada's third transcontinental railway. Resold 1920 to Maritime Coal Ry. & Power Company #5. Retired 1961 to Canadian Railway Museum.||Canadian Railway Museum, Delson, Quebec, Canada|
|1710||2-6-0||1897||Hankaku Railway #13 in Japan. Hankaku Railway was nationalized in 1906. It was renumbered #2851. The last owner was Jobu Railway.||Shinagawa, Tokyo|
|1815||2-6-0||1898||Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad #1175||Buffalo, Wyoming|
- Bell, J. Snowden (January 1901). "A Curiosity in Locomotive Design". Railway and locomotive engineering; a practical journal of motive power, rolling stock and appliances. XIV. New York: Angus Sinclair Company. p. 13. OCLC 1763393.
- Sunshine Software, Steam Locomotive Information. Retrieved October 30, 2005.
- "Nova Scotia Short Lines & Industrial Railroads".
- Steam Locomotives of the New York Central Lines (Edson & Vail), Vol 2, page 674. New York Central System Historical Society