Giuseppe Mercanti, best known as Pino Mercanti (16 February 1911 - 3 September 1986), was an Italian director and screenwriter.
16 February 1911
|Died||3 September 1986 75) (aged|
|Other names||Joseph Trader|
Life and career
Born in Palermo, Sicily, Mercanti was a pioneer of the Sicilian cinema as the leading filmmaker and the artistic director of the production company O.F.S. (a.k.a. Organizzazione Filmistica Siciliana), founded by the brothers Francesco and Girolamo Gorgone with the purpose of promoting the production of films on Sicilian soil. Following the bankruptcy of the company, Mercanti moved to Rome, where he directed a number of melodramas, adventure films, Spaghetti Westerns and other genre films, often international co-productions. He was sometimes credited as Joseph Trader.
- For the Love of Mariastella (1945)
- I cavalieri dalle maschere nere (1948)
- Serenata amara (1952)
- La voce del sangue (1952)
- Revenge of a Crazy Girl (1952)
- I cinque dell'Adamello (1954)
- Primo applauso (1957)
- Knight of 100 Faces (1960)
- The Black Duke (1963)
- Gentlemen of the Night (1964)
- Tres dólares de plomo (1965)
- Special Code: Assignment Lost Formula (1966)
- Umberto Cantone (14 December 2014). "Pino Mercanti, palermitano di cappa e spada". La Repubblica. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- Alberto Romeo. Storia della fotografia e cinematografia subacquea italiana. La mandragora, 2009. ISBN 8875861544.
- Roberto Poppi. I registi: dal 1930 ai giorni nostri. Gremese Editore, 2002. ISBN 8884401712.