Life and career
Atalay was born to Turkish immigrants parents in Lemgo. After high school she ran, for one year, a boutique in Lemgo. She then worked as an intern at Radio NRW and Radio Lippe. She later worked as a freelancer and trainee, and was, for a time, an early-morning presenter at the local radio station Antenne Münster.
On WDR Fernsehen, Atalay regularly hosted Cosmo TV. For ARD-aktuell, she hosted regular news and special programs, including for Das Erste. She is also a reporter and presenter for NDR Fernsehen, NDR Radio and Radio Bremen. From 2010 onwards, she presented programmes on Phoenix. In March 2014, Atalay became a presenter of the Tagesthemen evening news, succeeding Ingo Zamperoni. In a 2018 survey conducted by Forsa Institute, she was voted one of Germany's most trusted news presenters.
- Antje Hildebrandt: Pinar Atalay, die charmante Nussknackerin.
- Neue "Tagesthemen"-Sprecherin Pinar Atalay.
- Vertrauenswürdigster Nachrichtenmoderator ist Claus Kleber Der Tagesspiegel, March 21, 2018.
- "Moderation". daserste.de (in German). Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- Board of Trustees Jugend debattiert.
- Pinar Atalay ist Mutter geworden. Zeit Online, 11 March 2017