British theatrical quad
|Directed by||Adrian Shergold|
|Produced by||Christine Langan|
|Written by||Jeff Pope & Bob Mills|
|Music by||Martin Phipps|
|Edited by||Tania Reddin|
|Distributed by||Redbus Film Distribution (UK)|
IFC Films (US)
The film premiered at the 2005 Toronto International Film Festival and was released in the UK on 7 April 2006. In the United States, it had a limited theatrical release at three screens on 7 June 2007, grossing $21,766. It was released on DVD on 30 October 2007.
Originally commissioned as a television film in 2004, Pierrepoint was broadcast on ITV on 25 August 2008, when it attracted an estimated audience of 3.6 million. The film was renamed Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman for its North American release, although Pierrepoint was not the last British hangman.
The film is based on the life of Britain's most prolific hangman, Albert Pierrepoint (played by Timothy Spall), from the time he is first trained for the job and accepted onto the list of the country's official hangmen in 1932 until his resignation in 1956.
- Timothy Spall as Albert Pierrepoint
- Juliet Stevenson as Annie Pierrepoint
- Eddie Marsan as James "Tish" Corbitt
- Ben McKay as Timothy Evans
- Michael Norton as Josef Kramer
- Lizzie Hopley as Dorothea Waddingham
- Cavan Clerkin as George Cooper
- Mary Jo Randle as Mrs Corbitt
- Christopher Fulford as Charlie Sykes
- Ian Shaw as Percy
- Ann Bell as Violet Van der Elst
- Robin Soans as Governor/Brigadier Paton-Walsh
- Nicholas Blane as governor of Strangeways
- Maggie Ollerenshaw as Mary Pierrepoint, Albert's mother
- Bernard Kay as Uncle Tom
- Claire Keelan as Jessie Kelly
- Clive Francis as Monty
- Sheyla Shehovich as Irma Grese
- Keiran Flynn as Neville
- Tobias Menzies as Lieutenant Llewellyn
- Mary Stockley as Ruth Ellis
- James Corden as Kirky
The hanging scenes and the street protest scenes at the end of the film were at the Historic Dockyard, Chatham.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 77% based on 53 reviews, with an average rating of 7/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Director Adrian Shergold doesn't shy away from the darker elements of the movie's subject, and Timothy Spall is mesmerizing as the title character." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 68 out of 100, based on 15 critics, indicating "generally favourable reviews".
- Staff writer (11 September 2005). "Film Council backs Hangman drama", BBC News Online, BBC News. Retrieved on 9 November 2008.
- Berlins, Marcel. (31 March 2006). "The secret executioner", The Guardian, Guardian News and Media. Retrieved on 9 November 2008.
- Staff writer. "The Last Hangman – Box Office Data", The Numbers, Nash Information Services, LLC.. Retrieved on 9 November 2008.
- Staff writer (2 September 2004). "ITV orders drama about hangman Pierrepoint", Broadcast Now, Emap Media. Retrieved on 9 November 2008.
- Holmwood, Leigh (26 August 2008). "TV ratings: Wogan quizshow debut draws 1.7m viewers", guardian.co.uk, Guardian News and Media. Retrieved on 9 November 2008.
- http://kentfilmoffice.co.uk/2006/04/pierrepoint-2006/ Kent Film Office Pierrepoint Film Focus
- "Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman (2007)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "Pierrepoint Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 25 March 2018.