Pierre Christin at Japan Expo 2010
|Born||27 July 1938|
|Valérian and Laureline|
La Ville qui n'existait pas
La voyageuse de la petite ceinture
Rumeurs sur le Rouerge
Christin was born at Saint-Mandé in 1938.
After graduating from the Sorbonne, Christin pursued graduate studies in political science at SciencesPo and became a professor of French literature at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City. His first comics story, Le Rhum du Punch, illustrated by his childhood friend Jean-Claude Mézières, was published in 1966 in Pilote magazine. Christin returned to France the following year to join the faculty of the University of Bordeaux. That year he again collaborated with Mézières to create the science-fiction series Valérian and Laureline for Pilote. The first episode was Les Mauvais Rêves (Bad Dreams).
In addition to the ongoing Valerian, Christin has written several other comics one-shots, including The City That Didn't Exist (La Ville qui n'existe pas), The Black Order Brigade (Les Phalanges de l'ordre noir) and The Hunting Party (Partie de chasse) (all illustrated by Enki Bilal). Among the many European comics artist he has collaborated with are Enki Bilal, Jacques Tardi, Alexis, Raymond Poïvet, Jijé, Annie Goetzinger, Daniel Ceppi, and François Boucq. He has also written screenplays and science-fiction novels.
- 1976: Angoulême International Comics Festival, Best French Author
- 1986: Angoulême International Comics Festival, Library Readers Award, for La voyageuse de la petite ceinture
- 1995: Haxtur Awards, Spain, nominated for Best Short Comic Strip, for El Círculo del poder (The Circles of Power)
- 1997: Angoulême International Comics Festival, Tournesol Award, for Les otages de l’Ultralum (Hostages of the Ultralum)
- 1996: Max & Moritz Prizes, Germany, Best International Writer
- 2019: Angoulême International Comics Festival René Goscinny award
- De Weyer, Geert (2008). 100 stripklassiekers die niet in je boekenkast mogen ontbreken (in Dutch). Amsterdam / Antwerp: Atlas. p. 213. ISBN 978-90-450-0996-4.
- Historical Faculty Files, University Archives, University of Utah http://content.lib.utah.edu/u?/UU_EAD,156 Archived 2011-01-29 at the Wayback Machine
- ToutEnBD. "Le palmarès 1976" (in French). Archived from the original on 2007-03-13.
- ToutEnBD. "Le palmarès 1986" (in French). Archived from the original on 2007-06-25.
- La sauce verte. "Prix Tournesol" (in French). Archived from the original on 2007-10-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pierre Christin.|
- Pierre Christin biography on Lambiek Comiclopedia