Pierre Angénieux Excellens in Cinematography
The name comes from Pierre Angénieux, inventor of the retrofocus zoom mechanism and founder of the French manufacturer of high-end zoom lenses. It does not award a film from the Cannes Film Festival but pays tribute to a prominent director of photography whose career is commended by the industry for his/her aesthetic work.
This award is organized by Angénieux, a French manufacturer of zoom lenses since 1935, official partner of the Cannes Film Festival. This award celebrates a cinematographer for his/her career, not as a brand ambassador. Despite his 2015 award, Roger A. Deakins acknowledged that he does not shoot with zoom lenses. The company explains this sponsorship, writing: "For more than 80 years, with their demanding aesthetics and techniques, directors of photography have secured the success of Angénieux zoom lenses. In honor, Angénieux turns the spotlight to these image professionals without whom cinema would not exist".
Since 2018, the promising work of a young film professional is also highlighted during the ceremony to celebrate the future of cinematography.
The ceremony takes place within Cannes Film Festival main venue, generally during the festival's last week (month of May), with the honoree walking on the red carpet. An overview of his/her filmography is projected, then the President of Angénieux and the Director of the festival speak along with former partners who explain their experiences and the reasons of this tribute. An Angénieux zoom lens engraved with the name of the recipient is offered as the award.
A masterclass was organized during the 4th edition of the event. Peter Suschitzky presented some of his lighting techniques on his major scenes, and his collaboration with David Cronenberg
List of honored cinematographers
- 2013: Philippe Rousselot (AFC, ASC)
- 2014: Vilmos Zsigmond (HSC, ASC)
- 2015: Roger A. Deakins (BSC, ASC)
- 2016: Peter Suschitzky (ASC)
- 2017: Christopher Doyle (HKSC)
- 2018: Edward Lachman (ASC)
- 2019: Bruno Delbonnel (AFC, ASC)
- "Angénieux - Professional cinema lens manufacturer".
- Fauer, Jon. "Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC Interview about Cannes ExcelLens Cinematography Award". Film and Digital Times. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Angénieux Tribute to Peter Suschitzky ASC - Angénieux" (in French). 2016-05-03. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Cannes Seminar with Peter Suschitzky, ASC - part 1 - ASC Web Site". 30 June 2016.
- "Cannes Seminar with Peter Suschitzky, ASC - part 2 - ASC Web Site". 8 August 2016.
- Fauer, Jon (2013-05-27). "Philippe Rousselot, ASC, AFC, ExcelLens". Film and Digital Times. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Zsigmond Zooms - ASC Web Site". 2014-07-11. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Roger Deakins Receives Angénieux ExcelLens Award". 2015-06-27. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Peter Suschitzky, ASC Receives Angénieux ExcelLens Award - ASC News". Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "« Pierre Angénieux ExcelLens in Cinematography » - 5th edition at Cannes Film Festival 2017 - Angénieux". Angénieux. 2017-05-11. Retrieved 2017-05-12.
- Fauer, Jon (2017-05-11). "Christopher Doyle, HKSC to get Angenieux Award". Film and Digital Times. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Edward Lachman, ASC to Receive 2018 Pierre Angénieux ExcelLens in Cinematography Honor in Cannes - The American Society of Cinematographers". theasc.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "CANNES FILM FESTIVAL 2018 ANGENIEUX WILL PAY TRIBUTE TO DoP ED LACHMAN ASC - Angénieux". Angénieux. 2018-04-27. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- Afcinema (2019-04-26). "Interview with cinematographer Cecile Zhang". Afcinema (in French). Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- Team, Angénieux. "7Th EDITION OF THE ANGENIEUX EXCELLENS IN CANNES : TRIBUTE TO BRUNO DELBONNEL AFC ASC !". blog.angenieux.com. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- "Cinematographer Modhura Palit on being the first Indian to receive the Angenieux award at Cannes- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 2019-03-31. Retrieved 2019-04-26.