It is located in the Southern Savonia region. The town has a population of 17,909 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,836.22 square kilometres (708.97 sq mi) of which 266.76 km2 (103.00 sq mi) is water. The population density is 11.41 inhabitants per square kilometre (29.6/sq mi).. Neighbour municipalities are Hankasalmi, Joroinen, Juva, Kangasniemi, Leppävirta, Mikkeli, Rautalampi and Suonenjoki.
Pieksämäki from the water tower
Coat of arms
Location of Pieksämäki in Finland
|Coordinates: 62°18′N 027°08′E|
|• Town manager||Tapio Turunen|
|• Total||1,836.22 km2 (708.97 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,569.63 km2 (606.04 sq mi)|
|• Water||266.76 km2 (103.00 sq mi)|
|Area rank||40th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||65th largest in Finland|
|• Density||11.41/km2 (29.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.6%|
|• 15 to 64||63.3%|
|• 65 or older||23.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
The town of Pieksämäki was formed on January 1, 2007 with the consolidation of the municipalities of Pieksämäki and Pieksänmaa.
Diaconia University of Applied Sciences has a campus in Pieksämäki.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Results of the 2015 Finnish parliamentary election in Pieksämäki:
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.