Pi Kappa Lambda
Pi Kappa Lambda (ΠΚΛ) is an American honor society for undergraduate students, graduate students, and professors of music. There are over 200 chapters nationally; a complete roster of current chapters is listed in the organization's official web site. The Society is governed by a Board of Regents; President Tayloe Harding (University of South Carolina School of Music), Vice President Mark Reimer (Christopher Newport University Department of Music); and an Executive Director, Mark Lochstampfor. The National Office is currently located in Columbus, OH on the Capital University campus.
Pi Kappa Lambda was established on May 17, 1918 at the Northwestern University by Carl Milton Beecher, Louis Norton Dodge, and Walter Allen Stults. The first member was Peter Christian Lutkin, Dean of the School of Music at Northwestern University, and the Greek letters chosen for the name of the society were based on his initials.
The society is dedicated to the promotion of music education in institutions of higher learning. It selects and honors men and women at the upper undergraduate and graduate levels who have demonstrated superior musical and academic achievement at the institutions where the society maintains chapters.
It also sponsors the publication of a series of monographs on American music, grants scholarships and certificates of honor to outstanding freshmen and sophomore students, holds composition contests, and provides other services in its program of activities.
- Official website
- National Music Council Bulletin, v. 39, issue 2, 1980, p. 40
- William McClellan and Jessica L. Getman, "Fraternities and Sororities", The Grove Dictionary of American Music, Second edition, Vol. 3, p. 376
- For example, the web site reports that the 2014 national meeting was held jointly with the College Music Society and the Association for Technology in Music Instruction.
- McClellan, William, and Jessica L. Getman (2013), "Fraternities and sororities", in Garrett, Charles Hiroshi (ed.), The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 3 (Second ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 376, ISBN 978-0-19-999061-0
- Unknown Author (1983). "Directory of Music Organizations". The Instrumentalist. Evanston, Illinois: The Instrumentalist Co. 38, no. 2 (September 1983): 110.
- Unknown Author (1980). "Reports from member organizations". National Music Council Bulletin. 39 (2): 40.
- Pi Kappa Lambda official web site
- Pi Kappa Lambda Records, Northwestern University Archives, Evanston, Illinois
- Peter Christian Lutkin Papers, Northwestern University Archives, Evanston, Illinois
- ACHS Pi Kappa Lambda entry
- Pi Kappa Lambda chapter list at ACHS