Philip Locke (29 March 1928, London – 19 April 2004, Dedham, Essex) was an English actor.
Locke as Vargas in Thunderball 1965
Roy James Locke
29 March 1928
|Died||19 April 2004 76) (aged|
He trained at RADA, and from the late 1950s was part of the ensemble at the Royal Court Theatre, where John Osborne described him as "special and reliable".
On television, he will be remembered by fans of the science fiction series Doctor Who for his appearance in the 1982 serial Four to Doomsday as Bigon. Other TV credits include: The Baron, The Avengers episodes 'The Frighteners' (1961), 'Mandrake' (1964), and 'From Venus With Love' (1967), The Saint, The Champions, Department S, Z-Cars, Pennies from Heaven, The Omega Factor, Codename Icarus, The Box of Delights, Bergerac, Inspector Morse, Jeeves and Wooster, Minder, Antony and Cleopatra, She Fell Among Thieves (BBC), Oliver Twist, Ivanhoe and Jekyll & Hyde.
A member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, he also played "Professor Moriarty" on Broadway in Sherlock Holmes in 1974–76 and appeared in Amadeus at the National Theatre.
Locke was survived by his companion Michael Ivan.
- Cloak Without Dagger (1956) - 1st Soldier
- Heart of a Child (1958) - 1st Soldier
- The Bulldog Breed (1960) - Teddy Boy in Cinema Fight (uncredited)
- The Girl on the Boat (1961) - Bream Mortimer
- Seven Keys (1961) - Norman's Thug (uncredited)
- Follow That Man (1961) - Vicar
- On the Run (1963) - David Hughes
- Incident at Midnight (1963) - Foster
- Father Came Too! (1964) - Stan
- Thunderball (1965) - Vargas
- The Fiction Makers (1968) - Frug
- Hitler: The Last Ten Days (1973) - Hanske
- Escape to Athena (1979) - Major Vogel
- Porridge (1979) - Banyard
- Oliver Twist (1982, TV Movie) - Mr. Sowerberry
- Ivanhoe (1982) - Grand Master
- The Plague Dogs (1982) - Civil Servant #1 (voice)
- Ascendancy (1983) - Dr. Strickland
- And the Ship Sails On (1983) - Prime Minister
- The Inquiry (1986)
- Stealing Heaven (1988) - Poussin
- Jekyll & Hyde (1990) - Editor
- Turbulence (1991) - Vic
- Jacob (1994) - Diviner
- Tom & Viv (1994) - Charles Haigh-Wood
- Othello (1995) - 1st Senator
- Wilde (1997) - Judge
- "Philip Locke". BFI.
- "Philip Locke". Telegraph.co.uk. 24 April 2004.
- "Philip Locke". The Stage.
- "BBC - Doctor Who Classic Episode Guide - Four to Doomsday - Details". www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Philip Locke movies, photos, movie reviews, filmography, and biography - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Philip Locke". www.aveleyman.com.