Petitcodiac, New Brunswick
"Where the River Begins"
The location of Petitcodiac within New Brunswick
|Coordinates: 45.93205°N 65.169697°W|
|Incorporated Village||November 9, 1966|
|Electoral Districts |
|• Mayor||Gerald Gogan|
|• Land||17.21 km2 (6.64 sq mi)|
|• Density||80.4/km2 (208/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (Atlantic (AST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (ADT)|
It is named after the Petitcodiac River, which begins in the village at the junction of the North River and Anagance River. The name is believed to be derived either from a Mi'kmaq word meaning "bends like a bow" or from a Maliseet word meaning "sound of thunder".
The village features a regional school, an outdoor swimming pool, an arena, a bowling alley, as well as several family-owned shops and churches servicing the surrounding area. There is also a Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron.
The Westmorland County Agricultural Fair, established by William Balzer in 1967, is an agricultural fair with a horse show, a sheep show, a produce contest, crafts and baked goods, and a beauty pageant.
- "Census Profile, 2016 Census Petitcodiac, Village [Census subdivision], New Brunswick". Statistics Canada. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- Dr. Peter Paul interview with anthropologist Harald E.L. Prins and Bunny McBride, Hallowell, Maine, 12/02/1988, in In Memoriam: Peter Lewis Paul, 1902-1989, edited by K. Teeter, 19-21. Hull:Canadian Museum of Civilization, Canadian Ethnology Service. Mercury Series Paper 26, 1993.
- "Fair Born of One Man's Dream". Westmorland County Agricultural Fair. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006 census
- "2011 Census Profile: Petitcodiac, New Brunswick". Retrieved October 3, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Petitcodiac, New Brunswick.|