Peter von Danzig (ship)
|Name:||Peter von Danzig|
|Acquired:||by Danzig, 1462|
|Decommissioned:||Second half of the 1470s|
|Tons burthen:||ca. 800 tons|
|Beam:||ca. 12 m (39 ft 4 in)|
|Propulsion:||760 m2 (8,181 sq ft) of sails|
|Crew:||50 sailors, 300 marines|
Peter von Danzig was built at the French west coast and originally named Pierre de la Rochelle or Peter van Rosseel. The ship arrived in Danzig in 1462, carrying sea salt from the Atlantic. While she anchored in roadstead, she was damaged by lightning.
The ship lay inactive for a while in Danzig harbour, but was eventually seized and changed over to a warship in 1469 after the Hanse had declared war on England.
Between August 1471 and 1473 Peter von Danzig operated in the North Sea under captain Paul Beneke, hunting English merchantmen with a letter of marque and securing Hanse convoys. After the Treaty of Utrecht (1474), the ship undertook several trade trips abroad, before she appears to have been decommissioned in the late 1470s.
- Jochen Brennecke: Geschichte der Schiffahrt, Künzelsau 1986 (2nd ed.) ISBN 3-89393-176-7, p. 62