Peter Jon Pearce
Peter Jon Pearce
|Born||October 8, 1936|
Geneva, New York, United States
|Occupation||American product designer, author, and inventor.|
He is the designer of the Cachet Chair, Manufactured by Steelcase, as well as the designer of the Curved Space Diamond Structure, a playground climbing sculpture, installed at playgrounds throughout the U.S., The Brooklyn Children's Museum, and the Hakone Open Air Museum in Japan, where it has been a popular attraction since 1978.
Pearce was offered a job with Charles Eames after Eames saw the bent-plywood lounge chair he made in college. While employed by Eames he contributed to the following projects:
-Made adaptations to the design of the furniture bases for the "Aluminum Group Furniture".
-Member of the Eames design and production crew for the film "Glimpses of the U.S.A."
-One of four team members who produced the prototypes of the "Time-Life Chair and Stool", designed for the Time & Life Building lobbies.
-Staff member involved in the development of the 1961 "La Fonda Chair", made for the La Fonda del Sol restaurant which opened in New York's Time & Life Building, in 1961.
-Staff member involved in the development of the "Eames Contract Storage" units.
He was an assistant to Buckminster Fuller and is the author of several books including "Structure in Nature Is a Strategy for Design". His focus on high-performance design, and on achieving sustainability in his designs, is seen in the methodologies used in the design of the Cachet Chair, his work on Biosphere 2, and in the design of the Pearce Ecohouse. The Pearce Ecohouse design, emulates the hexagonal structures of nature and is a green structure built from glass and steel using prefab construction. It is solar powered and will use net-zero energy.
- Pearce, Peter, and Susan Pearce. Experiments in Form: A Foundation Course in Three-Dimensional Design. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co, 1980. ISBN 9780442264970
- Pearce, Peter, and Susan Pearce. Polyhedra Primer. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1978.
- Pearce, Peter. Structure in Nature Is a Strategy for Design. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1978. ISBN 9780262160643
- Neuhart, Marilyn Neuhart, with John (2010). The story of Eames Furniture. Berlin: Gestalten. pp. 200–207. ISBN 9783899552300.
- "Peter Jon Pearce".
- Amber Dohrenwend. "Peter Pearce's "Curved Space Diamond Structure"".
- Eames, John Neuhart, Marilyn Neuhart, Ray (1989). Eames design : the work of the Office of Charles and Ray Eames (3. printing ed.). New York: H.N. Abrams. pp. 227, 241, 249, 253, 265, 275, 283. ISBN 9780810908796.
- Shiela Gibson Stoodley (Sep 2008). "Objects of Desire: Molecular Level". Art & Antiques Magazine: 30–31.
- John Allen, FLS. "Buckminster Fuller's Synergetic Algorithm and Challenges of the Twenty-First Century".
- Pearce, Peter (1990). Structure in nature is a strategy for design (5th print. ed.). Cambridge u.a.: MIT Press. ISBN 0262660458.
- Cullen, Cheryl Dangel; Haller, Lynn (2004). Design secrets. 50 real-life projects uncovered : projects chosen by the Industrial Design Society of America. Gloucester, MA: Rockport Publishers. ISBN 978-1592530717.
- Roberta Cruger. "Dwell on Design Conference: Dispatch from Day One".
- "Peter J. Pearce Patents".
- "Getty's Pacific Standard Time Series on L.A. Architecture: A Preview".
- Katya Tylevich. "Everything Loose Will Land".