Peter Boyle (film editor)
Peter Boyle (born 27 May 1946, in Formby) is an English film editor with more than thirty feature film credits. His work on the film The Hours (2002) was nominated for the Academy Award, the BAFTA Award, and the ACE Eddie, and other honors.
- For other people named Peter Boyle, see Peter Boyle (disambiguation)
|Born||27 May 1946|
Boyle is a graduate of Bradfield College, and began his career working with director Richard Lester. After more than a decade of work as an assistant on feature films and editing commercials, his first credit as editor of a feature film was for McVicar in 1980. He has worked regularly on features and television films since then. From 1988 through 2006, Boyle edited five of the films directed by Kevin Reynolds.
Boyle has been elected as a member of the American Cinema Editors.
Boyle's editing of The Hours (directed by Stephen Daldry, 2002) was honored by numerous nominations for "best editing" of 2002 films. Critic Bob Grimm wrote that the film's editing "is a minor film miracle". Karen Pearlman selected the film as a case study for her 2016 book on film editing, Cutting Rhythms: Intuitive Film Editing.
- Peter Boyle on IMDb
- "Peter Boyle A.C.E. Editor". Sandra Marsh & Associates.
- "American Cinema Editors > Members", webpage archived by WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-04.
- Grimm, Bob (16 January 2003). "Suicide, sexuality, and confused love: The Hours". Reno News & Review.
Film editors don’t get enough credit for their work. The craftsmanship employed by editor Peter Boyle on The Hours is a minor film miracle. ... To say the movie “jumps” from time period to time period would be a tad insulting. The movie flows beautifully between its stories, and manages a wonderful sense of pace and continuity. Boyle doesn’t resort to any stunts or tricks in connecting the stories, and the viewer should have no difficulty following the plots and themes. Editing awards often go to big budget blockbusters laden with special effects, but Boyle’s work is deserving of consideration.
- Pearlman, Karen (2016). "Emotional Rhythm". Cutting Rhythms: Intuitive Film Editing. Focal Press. pp. 126–131. ISBN 9781317516439. OCLC 941874867. This is the second edition of the book.
- "Deeper into the Cut: 'Hours' ' Boyle plays more creative, integral role in the process". Variety. 19 February 2003. Article about the editing of The Hours based on an interview with Boyle.