Permira is a European private equity firm. It was founded in 1985. The firm advises funds with a total committed capital of approximately €200 billion. Since 1985 the Permira funds, raised from pension funds and other institutions, have made nearly two hundred private equity investments.
|Limited liability partnership|
Number of employees
Permira specialises in five sectors: Consumer, Financial Services, Healthcare, Industrials and TMT (Technology, Media, Telecommunications). There are currently 25 companies in the Permira funds’ portfolio and the firm comprises approximately 120 professionals.
Permira was founded in 1985 by Nicholas Ferguson as a number of country specific separate businesses operating under the Schroder Ventures brand. In 1996, the United Kingdom, French, German and Italian teams joined together to create Schroder Ventures Europe and in 1997 it raised its first pan European fund. In 2001, the firm was renamed Permira.
It also opened an office in Menlo Park in 2008.
- 2019 - Acquisition of Cambrex
- 2018 - Acquisition of Duff & Phelps
- 2018 – Acquisition of Cisco's SPVSS division
- 2017 – Acquisition of DiversiTech Corporation
- 2016 – Acquisition of Schustermann & Borenstein (Best Secret)
- 2015 – Acquisition of Medora Snacks and Ideal Snacks
- 2015 – Acquisition of Vacalians Group, a European campsite and mobile home company operating under the Tohapi brand
- 2015 – Acquisition of GFKL Financial Services, a provider of receivables management services in Germany
- 2015 – Acquisition of Informatica, independent provider of enterprise data integration software and services
- 2014 – Acquisition of Teraco Data Environments, Sub-Saharan Africa's provider of carrier neutral datacenter services
- 2014 – Acquisition of Metalogix, provider of management tools for collaboration platforms
- 2014 – Acquisition of TeamViewer, developer and distributor of solutions for online communication, collaboration and remote monitoring of IT systems
- 2014 – Acquisition of Tilney and Bestinvest, the wealth manager and online investment service based in the United Kingdom.
- 2014 – Acquisition of $200 million of the outstanding equity of LegalZoom.
- 2013 – Acquisition of R Griggs Group, parent of the Doc Martens brand for 300 million pounds or US$485.7 million.
(full realisations only; does not include partial realisations)
- 2017 – Netafim, smart drip and micro irrigation solutions, Israel
- 2015 – New Look Retail Group, fashion brand
- 2015 – Iglo Group, European frozen food business
- 2015 – Hugo Boss, company in premium and luxury segment of the apparel market
- 2015 – Arysta LifeScience Limited, one of the world's agrochemical businesses
- 2014 – Renaissance Learning, provider of technology based school improvement and student assessment programmes
- 2014 – All3Media, creator of television, film and digital content
- 2014 – ProSiebenSat.1, one of the independent media corporations in Europe
The Permira funds are invested in the following companies:
- Exclusive Group, Pan global distributor, majority stake – over €1B
- Duff & Phelps, global advisor in valuation, investigation and other governance matters – $1.5B
- Atrium Innovations, in the manufacturing, development and commercialisation of health products – €754m
- CABB, integrated supplier of chemicals and customer manufacturing solutions – €819m
- Dr Martens, British footwear brand – €380m
- LegalZoom, online legal services company – €158m
- Pantheon Healthcare Group, formerly MESA and Astral – €161m
- Metalogix, provider of online management tools
- TeamViewer, provider of secure remote support software – €870m
- Teraco Data Environments, provider of carrier neutral datacenter services in sub Saharan Africa
- Tilney Bestinvest, formerly Bestinvest, a leading private client wealth management firm and Tilney, a wealth manager – €243m
- Akindo Sushiro, sushi restaurant chain, Japan – €800m
- Ancestry.com, online family history – €1.266B
- Asia Broadcast Satellite, Fixed Satellite Services operator – €184m
- BakerCorp, temporary liquid and solid containment, pump, filtration and trench solutions – €714m
- Creganna Medical, global provider of outsourced solutions to the medical device industry – €223m
- eDreams ODIGEO, a combination of a trio of travel companies: eDreams, Go Voyages and Opodo – €1.048m
- Genesys, supplier of enterprise software and solutions – €1.237B
- Intelligrated, automated material handling solutions, United States – €443m
- Just Retirement, specialist financial services, United Kingdom – €298m
- Pharmaq, aquatic health groups – €250m
- Saga (Acromas), financial services to people aged over 50 in the United Kingdom – €9,685m
- Sisal, Italian gaming operator – €1.348m
- Telepizza, home delivery and takeaway pizza business – €962m
- Cortefiel, Spanish clothing retailer – €1.802m
- "Permira - Permira Today". Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Subscribe to read". Financial Times. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- Kleinman, Mark (2007-09-01). "Permira sets sights on South Korea". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- Editorial, Reuters. "UPDATE 2-Permira hires ex-Goldman banker to boost China team". U.S. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- "Permira - Permira Today". Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Permira Funds Complete Acquisition of DiversiTech".
- "Permira Funds to acquire leading German omnichannel premium fashion retailer Schustermann & Borenstein from Ardian".
- , Food Business News, 10 June 2015
- , Unquote.com
- , Reuters, 18 May 2015
- , Bloomberg, 7 April 2015
- , Reuters, 4 December 2014
- , Private Equity Wire, 31 October 2014
- "The Permira Funds complete the acquisition of TeamViewer". TeamViewer. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- , Telegraph, 6 November 2013
- "Permira Acquires $200 Million of LegalZoom Equity". BusinessWire. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Neel, Julia (October 24, 2013). "Permira Acquires Dr. Martens". WWD. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Lombardo, Cara; Harrup, Anthony (August 7, 2017). "Mexichem to Buy Netafim from Permira Funds". The Wall Street Journal. New York City, New York, United States. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- Reed, John (August 7, 2017). "Mexichem to buy Israeli irrigation specialist Netafim". Financial Times. United Kingdom. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- Financial Times, 15 May 2015
- Bloomberg, 20 April 2015
- Wall Street Journal, 16 March 2015
- Financial Times, 20 October 2014
- Forbes, 13 March 2014
- Bloomberg, 9 May 2014
- Bloomberg, 17 January 2014
- Channelweb, 13 April 2018
- Bloomberg, 29 November 2013
- Bloomberg, 22 April 2014
- BBC News, 24 October 2013
- Reuters, 6 January 2014
- Health Investor, 8 August 2014
- Washington Technology, 3 November 2014
- Reuters, 16 June 2014
- 4 December 2014
- The Telegraph, 6 November 2013
- Stephen Aldred and Junko Fujita (24 August 2012). "Permira buying Japan sushi restaurant chain in $1 billion deal". Reuters India. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- Forbes, 22 October 2012
- Financial Times, 13 September 2010
- Wall Street Journal, 13 April 2011
- Financial Times, 7 October 2010
- Bloomberg, 6 March 2014
- New York Times, 19 October 2011
- Jason Kelly (8 June 2012). "Permira to Buy Equipment Maker Intelligrated for $500 Million". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Just Retirement valued at $1.8 bln in London share listing". Reuters. 12 November 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- City AM, 2 April 2013
- The Guardian, 26 June 2007
- Bloomberg, 16 June 2014
- The Independent, 23 July 2006
- Financial News, 22 July 2005