Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 53°6′N 7°0′E|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Jaap Kuin (acting) (PvdA)|
|• Total||50.20 km2 (19.38 sq mi)|
|• Land||49.10 km2 (18.96 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.10 km2 (0.42 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|• Density||252/km2 (650/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Pekela is located at 53°6′N 7°0′E in the southeast of the province of Groningen in the northeast of the Netherlands. It is bordered by the municipalities of Oldambt (in the north), Bellingwedde (east), Stadskanaal (south), Veendam (west), and Menterwolde (northwest).
The river Pekel Aa crosses the municipality from north to south. The main population centres in the municipality are the villages of Boven Pekela (Upper Pekela), Nieuwe Pekela (New Pekela), and Oude Pekela (Old Pekela). Part of the village of Alteveer and the hamlets of Bronsveen and Hoetmansmeer are also in the municipality.
|Samen Voor Pekela||-||-||-||4||3|
- Jan de Boer (1859 in Nieuwe Pekela – 1941) a Dutch gymnast who competed in the 1908 Summer Olympics
- Janneke Snijder-Hazelhoff (born 1952 in Nieuwe Pekela) a Dutch farmer and politician
- Gerard Wiekens (born 1973 in Oude Pekela) a Dutch former footballer with 518 club caps who played for SC Veendam and Manchester City F.C.
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor] (in Dutch). Gemeente Pekela. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 9665JD". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.