Pehredaar Piya Ki
Pehredaar Piya Ki (English: Caretaker of the lover) is an Indian mystery television serial that was broadcast on Sony TV. It premiered on 17 July and ended on 28 August 2017. After the show was cancelled, it is returning with a leap due to controversies revolving around child marriage. It starred Tejaswi Prakash and Affan Khan in the lead roles.
|Pehredaar Piya Ki|
|Created by||Shashi Sumeet Productions|
|Developed by||Shashi Mittal|
|Written by||Niranjan Iyengar|
|Story by||Seema, Varsha, Garima, S.S|
|Directed by||Amandeep singh|
Huma pawan singh
|Creative director(s)||Saurabh Arora|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||33|
|Executive producer(s)||Rajan Singh|
Sumeet Hukamchand Mittal
|Running time||Approx. 23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Shashi Sumeet Productions|
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Networks|
|Original network||Sony Entertainment Television|
Sony LIV (Final Episode)
|Original release||17 July –|
28 August 2017
It follows the life of a young girl Diya, who fulfills the wish of a dying man on his death bed by taking the responsibility of an orphan boy, Ratan Maan Singh, by marrying him. What follows next is a beautiful bond of friendship between the couple and being there for each other in an platonic way. She then becomes the temporary owner of Maan Singh Heritage Group of Hotels until Ratan is old enough to take over.
Public backlash surrounding the underage marriage of 18-year-old Diya to 9-year-old Ratan prompted producer Shashi Sumeet to end the show and to restructure the idea as a new series, Rishta Likhenge Hum Naya. Affan Khan, who played young Ratan, has been replaced by Rohit Suchanti as an older Ratan.
After Pehredaar Piya Ki had aired, an online petition to ban the show was signed by more than 1 lakh people to take action against the show as they believed it was promoting child marriage. The case reached the BCCC, who have asked the makers of the show to change the time slot so the kids couldn't watch it and air it to 10 pm slot along with a disclaimer that it does not promote child marriage. Supporters of the show started the petition too against the ban, to stop targeting the show, which was signed by over 13 thousand supporters.
The makers of the show, Sumeet Hukamchand Mittal and Shashi Mittal defended their show by clearing the controversies related to the show by calling a press conference at a suburban hotel in Mumbai. On 19 August 2017, a new promo was released by Sony, that starting from 22 August, the show would air at 10:30 pm IST. On 28 August, Sony TV had confirmed that the show has gone off air as the makers were not happy with the late time slot, as the show was meant for particular audience. Instead of continuing with the show, they decided to end it and focus on their new show instead with a renewed story.
- Parmeet Sethi as Harshwardhan Singh
- Kishori Shahane as Padma Singh
- Gireesh Sahedev as Sajjan Singh
- Anjali Gupta as Mrs Sajjan Singh
- Manisha Saxena as Isha, Diya's sister
- Jiten Lalwani as Bhuvan Singh
- Meenu Panchal as Sakshi Singh
- Achherr Bhaardwaj as Mohak Pratap Singh
- Suyyash Rai as Abhay, Diya's former fiancé
- Simran Natekar as Shivani
- Kasturi Banerjee as Nitya
- Varun Jain as Ayush
- Swapnil Sharma as Priya Singh
The story of the serial is set in Rajasthan. Tejaswi Prakash is seen in the serial as the female lead, an object of affection of a nine-year-old prince. Currently, it is being shot at various location in Rajasthan including Jaipur and Mandawa.
In late August, a casting call was released for a recast of Ratan Singh to play the grown up prince in the new show titled Rishta Likhenge Hum Naya. On September 24, it was announced that Rohit Suchanti has replaced child actor Affan Khan.
- "'Pehredaar Piya Ki' Narrates One-of-a-kind Tale, Has Wife as Defender". India-West. India-West Publications, Inc. 18 August 2017. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- "Tejasswi Prakash: Don't have to date my co-actor for chemistry".
- "Pehredaar Piya Ki goes off air: I would have loved if the social media audience watched the show before reacting to it, says Sumeet Mittal". Mumbai Mirror. The Times Group. 30 August 2017.
- "Exclusive: My new show with same star cast will have a better story, says Pehredaar Piya Ki producer". Times of India. The Times Group. 29 August 2017.
- "'Pehredaar Piya Ki' makers back with 'modern' show 'Rishta Likhenge Hum Naya' - Times of India". Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- "BCCC orders Sony TV to shift 'Pehredaar Piya Ki' time slot". ABP Live. ABP Group. 16 August 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Pehredaar Piya Ki: To Ban The TV Show Or Not?". desimartini.com. 12 August 2017.
- "Why I will not support a ban on Pehredar Piya Ki , or of any other show". Mint. HT Media. 18 August 2017.
- "Pehredaar Piya Ki: As backlash mounts, producers Shashi and Sumeet Mittal defend their show". Firstpost. Network 18. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Pehredaar Piya Ki - Now at 10:30 PM, From 22, August 2017 - Promo". Sony Entertainment Television. Sony Pictures Networks. 19 August 2017.
- "Pehredaar Piya Ki Goes Off Air, Channel Unhappy With New Time Slot". India Today. 29 August 2017.
- "The 'unusual love story' taken off air". 30 August 2017. Retrieved 8 October 2017 – via www.bbc.com.
- "Sandstorm disrupts shoot of 'Pehredaar Piya Ki'". The Times of India. 20 May 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Pehredaar Piya Ki leap: Makers auditioning actors for the role of grown-up prince". Hindustan Times. HT Media Ltd. 23 August 2017.
- "PEHREDAAR PIYA KI 2: Rohit Suchanti IN and Shantanu Maheshwari OUT of the show". ABP Live. ABP Group. 25 September 2017.