Pavlos Kontides (Greek: Παύλος Κοντίδης, born 11 February 1990) is a Cypriot sailor. He became the first Cypriot athlete ever to win an Olympic medal for his country, by winning the silver medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics in the Men's Laser class behind Tom Slingsby. On Tuesday 19 of September 2017, Kontides took the 1st place in 2017 ILCA World Championship in Split, Croatia, becoming a World Champion. He won the championship again in 2018, as well as a silver in 2013.
|Born||11 February 1990|
Kontides also competed at the 2008 Summer Olympics obtaining the 13th place. In the same year, he won Gold at the World Junior Championships and in 2009 he won two Silver Medals in World Cups and a Bronze in the Paneuropean Men's Championship.
Kontides was born in Limassol. He is a member of the Limassol Nautical Club and is currently trained by Jozo Jakovic. He is studying ship science at the University of Southampton, and has taken a two-year break.
The Republic of Cyprus honored Kontides through the issue of a Commemorative Stamp.
- "Pavlos Kontides". London 2012. The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Limited. Archived from the original on 26 August 2012. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Bjedov, Nemanja (6 August 2012). "Proud Kontides hails 'incredible' silver". Cyprus Mail. Archived from the original on 8 August 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Pavlos Kontides, the Cypriot Olympic Medallist". Stamps and Philatelic Service, Cyprus Post. Retrieved 11 March 2013..
- "Rio 2016". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-08-21. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "The Flagbearers for the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony". 2016-08-16. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "Pavlos Kontides". Sailor Biography. ISAF. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Kontides - CYP". Sailing - Olympic Classes - Laser. Marine Pool. Archived from the original on 2 August 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Kontides is a Medal Winner". The Cyprus Weekly - Showbiz. Phileleftheros. 5 August 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
| Flagbearer for
Rio de Janeiro 2016