Paul Hamlyn Foundation
Paul Hamlyn Foundation is a registered charity, and a company limited by guarantee founded in England in 1987 by Paul Hamlyn.
It is an independent grant-making foundation, making grants to individuals and organisations in the UK to help people overcome disadvantage. The foundation focuses on supporting children and young adults, especially in pursuit of the arts.
The Foundation is located in Kings Cross, London, with around 40 staff members. Trustees include Jane Hamlyn (Chair), Tim Bunting, Tony Hall, Baron Hall of Birkenhead, Michael Hamlyn, Charles Leadbeater, James Lingwood, Jan McKenley-Simpson, Anthony Salz, Claire Whitaker and Tom Wylie.
The Foundation was established by Paul Hamlyn, an entrepreneurial publisher and philanthropist. Born Paul Bertrand Wolfgang Hamburger in Berlin in 1926, he came to the UK as a migrant in 1933 to escape Nazi persecution.
Awards for Artists
Paul Hamlyn Foundation established Awards for Artists in 1994, supporting individuals to develop their creative ideas at a timely moment in their careers, with no strings attached. Ten awards of £60,000 each are made annually; five to visual artists and five to composers. Previous recipients have included Yinka Shonibare, Phyllida Barlow, Eliza Carthy and Jeremy Deller.
Paul Hamlyn Foundation has been working in India since 1992 and has been able to provide support for 200 projects. The Foundation’s three main aims for investment in India are to enable vulnerable communities living in priority geographical areas to improve their lives; to enable especially vulnerable people living anywhere in India to improve their lives; and to develop the capacity of organisations and people who facilitate the above aims.
- "Charity overview". apps.charitycommission.gov.uk.
- "PAUL HAMLYN FOUNDATION - Overview (free company information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk.
- "About PHF". Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
- "People Archive". Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
- "Paul Hamlyn Foundation unveils new grants strategy". www.civilsociety.co.uk.
- "Belief in the individual". ArtsProfessional.
- "Paul Hamlyn Foundation Announces Awards To UK Visual Artists And Composers". Artlyst.
- "Previous recipients". Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
- "Paul Hamlyn Foundation provides £1m to Indian NGO". www.civilsociety.co.uk.
- "Paul Hamlyn Foundation goes for 'complete package'".