Pasar Minggu is a subdistrict of South Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia. The area is known for its traditional Sunday market, famous for the fruit market. Historically, Pasar Minggu is a fruit cultivation area developed by the Dutch government during the colonial period. The central point of the cultivation area is the traditional market of Pasar Minggu, located in what is now Pasar Minggu Kelurahan. Teak forest could also be found in Pasar Minggu Subdistrict, notably around Jati Padang (Javanese for "bright teak") Kelurahan. Most of these areas has been converted into residential area as Jakarta grow southward.
Pasar Minggu Subdistrict
Kecamatan Pasar Minggu
A fruit market in Pasar Minggu.
The Subdistrict of Pasar Minggu in South Jakarta
|Province||Special Capital City District of Jakarta|
|• Total||21.90 km2 (8.46 sq mi)|
The boundary of Pasar Minggu is Kemang Selatan Road - Warung Jati Timur Road - Kalibata Timur Road to the north, Ciliwung River to the east, and Krukut River to the west.
The southern portion of Jakarta Outer Ring Road passed through Pasar Minggu Subdistrict.
The Subdistrict of Pasar Minggu is divided into seven kelurahan or administrative villages:
The name Pasar Minggu derives from Pasar Minggu, a state-owned market located in the administrative village of the same name. The neighborhood of Pasar Minggu was – in the 17th-century – an ommelanden of Batavia located uphill. The land is located between the Ciliwung to the east and the stream of Mampang.
Pasar Minggu Market
Before 1920, market activity in the area was centered in Kampung Lio, closer to the west bank of the Ciliwung. The market opened every Sunday morning, hence the name Pasar Minggu, Malay for "Sunday Market". Pasar Minggu mainly consisted of bamboo-structured stalls. At this time, the market was also known for its gambling activities and a ronggeng performance known as Doger.
In 1930, a land to the west of Jalan Pasar Minggu (formerly the property of Dales, who took residence in Tanjung West) was opened by the colonial government to establish a more permanent building for the market. The first structure built for the market was a simple steel structure topped with zinc roof. The new market sold a variety of daily necessities e.g. clothing, as well as fruits, mostly collected from the surrounding orchards. Pasar Minggu was also set to open every day. Despite this, Pasar Minggu was still busier on Sunday. In 1931, the road connecting Pasar Minggu with Manggarai was paved, giving more access for people to Pasar Minggu.
The present Pasar Minggu building was inaugurated by the governor of Jakarta at that time Governor Tjokropranolo in 1984.
List of important places
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pasar Minggu.|
- "Kecamatan Pasar Minggu". Ensiklopedi Jakarta. Dinas Komunikasi, Informatika dan Kehumasan Pemprov DKI Jakarta. 2010. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- Erna (October 19, 2009). "Kembalikan Pasar Minggu Jadi Pasar Buah" (in Indonesian). BeritaJakarta.com. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- unknown & early 18th-century.
- S. Budhisantoso 1986, pp. 33-4.
- Yandri Irsan 2008, pp. 62-5.
- Kaart van Batavia, tusschen de rivier Groot Tsjiakon, de rivier Crocot en het spruytjie Tsiroa [Map of Batavia, between the Great River Tsjiakon, River Krukut and the Stream Tsiroa.] (Map). 50 rhijnlandsche roeden (in Dutch). Cartography by J.J. Bollee. anonymous. early 18th-century. Retrieved June 3, 2018. Check date values in:
- S. Budhisantoso; et al. (1986). Alat Penjaja Tradisional Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta (in Indonesian). Jakarta: Direktorat Jenderal Kebudayaan.
- Yandri Irsan (2008). "Keberadaan Preman di Pasar Minggu dan Penanganan oleh Polsek Metro Pasar Minggu" (PDF). Jakarta: Universitas Indonesia. Retrieved June 4, 2018. Cite journal requires