Paris Descartes University
Université Paris 5 René Descartes
|Active||1971, following the division of the University of Paris–2019, following the creation of the new University of Paris (2019)|
|Budget||Euro 340 Million(US $476 Million)|
Chancellor of the Universities of Paris
|Colours||Magenta and white|
|Affiliations||University of Paris|
It was one of the inheritors of the University of Paris (often referred as the Sorbonne), which was split into multiple separate institutions in 1970. Paris Descartes completely merged with Paris Diderot University in 2019 to form a new University of Paris.
It was established as a multidisciplinary university "of humanities and health sciences" ("des Sciences de l’Homme et de la Santé". It focuses in the areas of medical sciences, biomedical sciences, law, computer science, economics and psychology.
The historic University of Paris (French: Université de Paris) first appeared in the second half of the 12th century, but was divided into thirteen universities, managed by a common rectorate, the Chancellerie des Universités de Paris, after the student protests of the French May.
Descartes University has ten campuses in Paris. Its headquarters are centered on the "Collège de chirurgie", which was built in place of the "Collège de Bourgogne", in the Quartier Latin, on the rue des Écoles. The teaching facilities and the research laboratories are housed in the Saints-Pères university center, as far as the medical school and the social sciences school are concerned. The refurbished Henri-Piéron center contains the school of psychology, whereas the Law school is located in Malakoff. The dentistry school is located in Montrouge.
The undergraduate program of Paris Descartes is selective, with an acceptance rate of 11%. Admission to the second year of the university's master programs is selective as well, some of these programs admitting only 1.7% of applicants which can represent 25 students by programs.
The university focuses on medical sciences (medicine, dental medicine, pharmacy, psychology), biomedical sciences (cellular and molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, biomedical physics), social sciences (sociology, anthropology, linguistics, demographics, science of education), mathematics, computer science and law (information technology law, business law, tax law, public law, private law...).
The University Paris Descartes supports a modern approach of social sciences on the basis of fieldwork, participant observation and ethnography (Master's degree in cultural and social anthropology, at the School of humanities and social sciences - Sorbonne). The dual master's degree ("Economics and Psychology" and "Cogmaster") in partnership with other important French academic institutions such as Pantheon-Sorbonne University and the École Normale Supérieure emphasizes opportunities offered as far as research is concerned.
Paris Descartes was rated by the 2017 QS World University Ranking by Subject:
- 51–100th in Pharmacy and Pharmacology (1st ex aequo in France),
- 151–200 in Biological Sciences (4th ex aequo in France),
- 121 in Medicine (2nd in France),
- 251–300th in Psychology (2nd in France),
- 251–300th in Linguistics (3rd ex aequo in France)
It was also rated by the 2016/17 The Times Higher Education Subject Rankings as:
In Law, in 2016/17, it was not ranked among the top 10 of France of Eduniversal rankings.
- Olivier Brandicourt, physician and former CEO of Sanofi
- Jon Elster, social and political theorist
- François Fillon, former French Prime Minister
- Béatrice Galinon-Mélénec, founder of the e. laboratory on Human Trace Complex System Unesco
- Nadey Hakim, surgeon and Vice President of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Élizabeth Teissier, astrologist
- "L'Université Paris Descartes".
- "Nos universités partenaires / Étudiants partants/Outgoing students / INTERNATIONAL / Droit - Faculte de Droit - Universite Paris Descartes".
- QS World University Rankings 2018
- QS World University Rankings 2017 – Subject Rankings
- "Subject Ranking 2015-2016: clinical, pre-clinical and health top 100". 13 October 2015.
- Law, France, Eduniversal
Media related to Université Paris Descartes at Wikimedia Commons
- University web site (in French)
- Faculté des Sciences Humaines et Sociales - Sorbonne (in French)
- Institut de Psychologie (in French)