Paris Blues (album)
Paris Blues is an album of duets by pianist Gil Evans and saxophonist Steve Lacy recorded in Paris in 1987 and released on the French Owl label. The album was Evans' final studio recording before his death in 1988. The album was released in the US on Sunnyside Records in 2003.
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||November 30 & December 1, 1987|
|Studio||Family Sound Studio, Paris|
OWL 049 CD
|Producer||François Lemaire & Jean-Jacques Pussiau|
|Gil Evans chronology|
|Steve Lacy chronology|
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 1½ stars stating "In truth, Evans's playing here is generally little more than melody statements and comping behind Lacy and, although the soprano is in top form, little of significance occurs... of greater interest from a historical standpoint than musical". The Penguin Guide to Jazz observed "it's scarcely a momentus occasion, musically speaking, for either man... Interesting to hear Lacy at work on his music, but in the end the results are merely light and agreeable".
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|
- "Reincarnation of a Lovebird" (Charles Mingus) - 7:05
- "Paris Blues" (Duke Ellington) - 5:17
- "Esteem" (Steve Lacy) - 9:07
- "Orange was the Color of Her Dress Then Blue Silk" (Mingus) - 14:42
- "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (Mingus) - 8:42
- "Jelly Roll" (Gil Evans) - 5:43 Bonus track on CD
- "Esteem" (Lacy) - 8:54 Bonus track on CD
- Gil Evans discography accessed June 13, 2014.
- Kenz, W. & Roussel, P., Steve Lacy discography, accessed June 13, 2014
- Crease, S. S., Gil Evans: Out of the Cool: His Life and Music, p.323
- Sunnyside Records: album details, accessed December 18, 2019
- Yanow, S. Allmusic Review accessed June 13, 2014.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (8th ed.). London: Penguin. pp. 425. ISBN 0141023279.