Parchi (Urdu: پرچی, transl. Chit) is a 2018 Pakistani Urdu-language crime comedy film directed by Azfar Jafri and produced by Imran Kazmi and Arif Lakhani under the banner IRK Films. The film stars Hareem Farooq, Ali Rehman Khan and Shafqat Cheema, with Ahmed Ali Akbar, Faiza Saleem, Shafqat Khan and Usman Mukhtar in supporting roles. Khan also wrote film whilst Usman Mukhtar managed cinematography; Farooq also produced the film. It was released and distributed by ARY Films on 5 January 2018.
|Directed by||Azfar Jafri|
|Produced by||Imran Kazmi|
|Written by||Shafqat Khan|
|Edited by||Mitesh Soni|
|Distributed by||ARY Films|
|Budget||₨ 4.3 crore|
|Box office||₨ 17.1 crore|
Development and casting
In March 2016; producer Imran Kazmi in an interview with The Express Tribune revealed that his production team had begun with the film's pre-production, and with the intention to begin shooting for the film in October 2016. He confirmed that the script had been finalised. He also told that he would be co-producing with Hareem Farooq who will also play as one of the leads in the film alongside Ali Rehman and Usman Mukhtar.
Some of the filming for the film was done in Islamabad in the outskirts of the city. A night scene was shot in an old factory of an industrial zone, in very late hours of the night. Usman Mukhtar who in addition plays one of the lead characters in the film, managed the cinematography of the film.
The film's trailer was released on 2 December 2017 and the film released across Pakistan on 5 January 2018. Parchi was the first Pakistani movie to be released in Saudi cinemas.
The film opened in Pakistan to about ₨ 90 lakh in its first day, made up to ₨ 3 crore in its first weekend, and managed to collect up to ₨ 4.5 crore within a week. Per reports, The film grossed ₨ 9.5+ crore approx nationwide, making the total gross figures up to ₨ 11.5 crore in a month. The film ended its run at ₨ 17.1 crores worldwide.
The film was premiered in Karachi on 3 January 2018. Iman Zia of MangoBaaz said, "while it isn't an entire failure, the film is not as forgettable as I had expected". Shahjehan Saleem of Something Haute rated 2.5 out of 5 stars and said, "Sadly its shortcomings let it down […] If the film has one thing going for it, it's the acting." Sonia Ashraf of DAWN Images and said, "Parchi is not a film without flaws but it has some redeemable qualities that make it worth a watch." Shahjahan Khurram of Samaa TV rated 2 out of 5 stars and said, "there were flashes of commendable performance in the flick but by and large, it failed to fire on all cylinders." Buraq Shabbir of The News International said, "The good thing is that Parchi has been shot very well, with good camera work and an exciting cast but unfortunately it falls flat in terms of plot and character development."
Rahul Aijaz of The Express Tribune rated 2.5 out of 5 stars and said, "Even with a lot going on in its favour, it's a forgettable film." For Daily Times, Haider Rifaat rated 4 out of 5 stars and praised it, "The fun driven film is a family entertainer for sure and manages to tease and thrill simultaneously." Saira Agha praised its cinematography but said, "Good actors cannot save a bad film and the same fate is met by Parchi." Ally Adnan praised only 3 actors, while he wrote that "Parchi will not blow anyone's mind"; adding "the 'Mummy Daddy Burger Film' genre does not consider originality and innovation to be a virtue" and it too borrows the ideas from "from more than 20 films". Umair Sohail of Dunya News rated 3 out of 5 stars and said that it is "a full-on comedy movie".
- Artist—Mika Singh & Keka Ghoshal
- Writer and Composer –- Ahmed Alvi
- Music Composer—Najam Bajwa
- BILLO HAI
Artist -Sahara UK
Music - Manj Musik
- Mohammad Kamran Jawaid (30 December 2018). "TRADE: SO, HOW DID THE BOX OFFICE DO?". Dawn. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Mark your calendars for 'Parchi'". The Express Tribune. 10 March 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Yameen, Madiha (11 May 2017). "Ahmed Ali joins IRK Films' 'Parchi'". HIP. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "We will hand out the Parchi to the audience and take their money: Imran Kazmi". The Express Tribune. 19 September 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Irfan ul Haq (28 January 2017). "Hareem Farooq, Imran Kazmi join hands again for a comedy film". DAWN Images. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Love from the sets of Parchi -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)". Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Hareem Farooq steals the show in Parchi's trailer". DAWN Images. 3 December 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "'Parchi' will be the first Pakistani film to release in Saudi Arabia". Daily Times. 21 December 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "8 firsts by 'Parchi' that you didn't know about - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 28 December 2017. Retrieved 7 March 2018.
- "Parchi Rakes In Very Good Numbers On Day One". BoxOfficeDetail.com. 6 January 2018. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- ARY Films Parchi 3 crore on Facebook. 8 January 2018. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Parchi Week One Business Pakistan :: Very Good". BoxOfficeDetail.com. 12 January 2018. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Parchi 4th Weekend Business Pakistan". BoxOfficeDetail.com. 29 January 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Parchi lifetime business". www.lollywoodonline.com. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Zia, Iman (3 January 2018). ""Parchi" Is A Step Forward For Pakistani Cinema But I Still Have Mixed Feelings About It". MangoBaaz. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Saleem, Shahjehan (4 January 2018). "Haute Review: Parchi". Something Haute. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Ashraf, Sonia (4 January 2018). "Parchi tries to take comedy films to a new level, but did it succeed?". DAWN Images. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- shahjahankhurram (5 January 2018). "REVIEW: Hareem Farooq's 'Parchi' fails to fire on all cylinders…". Samaa TV. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Shabbir, Buraq (5 January 2018). "This Parchi is paper thin". The News. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Aijaz, Rahul (5 January 2018). "A 'Parchi' too high for Billo's 'thumkas'". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Rifaat, Haider (5 January 2018). "Movie Review: 'Parchi' slays on all levels". Daily Times. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Agha, Saira (6 January 2018). "'Parchi' — a waste of talented actors". Daily Times. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Adnan, Ally (7 January 2018). "'Parchi' represents cinema at its worst". Daily Times. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Sohail, Umair (13 January 2018). "Review: Parchi - Theatrical comic gigs put together". Dunya News. Retrieved 15 January 2018.