Parap Airfield was the civilian aerodrome of Darwin, Northern Territory, in Australia between 1919 and 1946. Located in the coastal suburb of Parap, it was also known as Darwin Aerodrome and Ross Smith Aerodrome.
|Location||Parap, Northern Territory|
The airfield was established in the suburb of Parap to act as the Australian Terminal as part of the 1919 England to Australia air race. It operated as a combined civilian and military airfield.
The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) deployed its No. 12 Squadron to the aerodrome in September 1939 after the declaration of war against Germany and amidst increasing suspicion regarding Japanese imperialism. By early 1942, the aerodrome was mainly used by the RAAF, although Guinea Airways retained a civilian presence. No. 34 Squadron RAAF was formed on 23 February 1942 at the aerodrome.
The Japanese bombed the aerodrome in a number of raids on Darwin during 1942, resulting in extensive damage to the town and hangar. The hangar was extensively damaged after suffering a direct hit and the damage can still be seen in the north-east corner of the original steel frame.
The main runway was in the location of present-day Ross Smith Avenue, in the suburb of Parap.