Panther Girl of the Kongo
Panther Girl of the Kongo is a 1955 Republic movie serial. It used a lot of stock footage from the 1941 Republic serial Jungle Girl. This was the penultimate (sixty-fifth of sixty-six) serial produced by Republic.
|Panther Girl of the Kongo|
|Directed by||Franklin Adreon|
|Produced by||Franklin Adreon|
|Written by||Ronald Davidson|
|Distributed by||Republic Pictures|
|12 chapters (167 minutes (serial)|
100 minutes (TV)
|Budget||$172,793 (negative cost: $179,341)|
Mad Scientist Morgan wants sole access to secret diamond mines in the local area of Africa. In order to accomplish this he breeds giant crayfish ("Claw Monsters") to scare away any other inhabitants. Jean Evans, the Panther Girl, and friend Larry Sanders encounter this plot while on a photo safari in the region.
- Phyllis Coates as Jean Evans, the Panther Girl
- Myron Healey as Larry Sanders, a big game hunter
- Arthur Space as Dr Morgan, a Mad Scientist
- John Daheim as Cass, one of Dr Morgan's henchmen
- Mike Ragan as Rand, one of Dr Morgan's henchmen
- Morris Buchanan as Tembo
- Roy Glenn as Chief Danka
- James Logan as Constable Harris
Panther Girl of the Kongo was budgeted at $172,793 although the final negative cost was $179,341 (a $6,548, or 3.8%, overspend). It was the most expensive Republic serial of 1955.
It was filmed between 16 August and 4 September 1954 under the working title Panther Woman of the Kongo. The serial's production number was 1939.
In order to make it possible to use significant stock footage from the earlier Jungle Girl, and cheaply pad out Panther Girl of the Kongo, a duplicate costume was used. As a result, Republic's last female lead wore the same costume as its first.
Special effects created by the Lydecker brothers.
- The Claw Monster (20min)
- Jungle Ambush (13min 20s)
- The Killer Beast (13min 20s)
- Sands of Doom (13min 20s)
- Test of Terror (13min 20s)
- High Peril (13min 20s)
- Timber Trap/Double Trap (Double Trap is the title shown on screen in chapter 7 and at the end of chapter 6) (13min 20s)
- Crater of Flame (13min 20s)
- River of Death (13min 20s)
- Blasted Evidence (13min 20s) - a re-cap chapter
- Double Danger (13min 20s)
- House of Doom (13min 20s)
- Mathis, Jack (1995). Valley of the Cliffhangers Supplement. Jack Mathis Advertising. pp. 3, 10, 140–141. ISBN 0-9632878-1-8.
- Stedman, Raymond William (1971). "5. Shazam and Good-by". Serials: Suspense and Drama By Installment. University of Oklahoma Press. p. 141. ISBN 978-0-8061-0927-5.
- Harmon, Jim; Donald F. Glut (1973). "1. The Girls "Who Is That Girl in the Buzz Saw?"". The Great Movie Serials: Their Sound and Fury. Routledge. p. 17. ISBN 978-0-7130-0097-9.
- Cline, William C. (1984). "3. The Six Faces of Adventure". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 38. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.
- "Timber Trap" is recorded as the title of the seventh chapter in William C. Cline’s ‘‘In the Nick of Time’‘ while "Double Trap" is recorded as the title in Jack Mathis’ ‘‘Valley of the Cliffhangers Supplement’‘.
- Cline, William C. (1984). "Filmography". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 256. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.
Man with the Steel Whip (1954)
| Republic Serial
Panther Girl of the Kongo (1955)
King of the Carnival (1955)