Palm Dog Award
The Palm Dog Award is a yearly alternative award presented by the international film critics during the Cannes Film Festival. Begun in 2001 by Toby Rose, it is awarded to the best performance by a canine (live or animated) or group of canines during the festival. The award consists of a leather dog collar with the term "PALM DOG". The name of the award is a play on words of the Palme d'Or, the festival's highest honor.
|Palm Dog Award|
Palm Dog Award logo
|Awarded for||Best Canine Performance during the Cannes Film Festival.|
|Presented by||International film critics at Cannes.|
First reported in June 2002, the Palm Dog has been reported by major news outlets around the world, including Financial Times Deutschland, Sydney Morning Herald, The New York Times, the BBC, the Los Angeles Times, and ABC News. In 2012 the judges for the Palm Dog were The Times chief film critic Kate Muir, The Daily Telegraph's Robbie Collin, The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw and Heat Magazine's Charles Gant.
- Otis from The Anniversary Party. Jennifer Jason Leigh, director of the film, accepted the award in person.
- Leo as Delgado in Large
- Bruno in The Cave of the Yellow Dog
- The "faithful little West Highland Terrier" in The Adventures of Greyfriars Bobby
- For the first time, the Palm Dog was awarded in a tie:
- For the first time, the Palm Dog award was awarded unanimously:
- Baby Boy in Behind the Candelabra
- The canine cast of White God
- Lucky the Maltipoo in Arabian Nights
- Grand Jury Prize – Bob from The Lobster
- Palm DogManitarian award – I Am a Soldier
- Einstein for his performance as Bruno in The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
- Grand Jury Prize – Lupo for Ava
- Palm DogManitarian Award – Leslie Caron and her 17-year-old pet rescue dog Tchi Tchi
- Canine cast of Dogman
- Grand Jury Prize – Diamantino
- Palm DogManitarian Award – Vanessa Davies and her pug Patrick
- Special Jury Prize – Security dogs Lilou, Glock and Even
- Ammu Kannampilly (October 22, 2007). "Awards Show Goes to the Dogs". Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- "Official Page".
- "Aki Kaurismäki - "I would like to reincarnate me in any personage of Disney"". The Cultural One. June 5, 2002. Retrieved May 28, 2009. Translated from Spanish to English here via Yahoo Babelfish
- "Die Filme der Anderen". Dieter Osswald. May 28, 2008.
- "Review of The Man Without a Past". The Sydney Morning Herald. June 23, 2003. Retrieved May 28, 2009.
- "The Palm Dog Prize Goes to Animated Pet". May 22, 2009. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- "Palm Dog prize for mystery canine". May 20, 2005. Retrieved May 28, 2009.
- "Pixar pooch picks Up Cannes prize". May 22, 2009. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- Kenneth Turan (May 22, 2005). "Belgian filmmakers take top prize at Cannes". Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- Collin, Robbie (May 25, 2012). "Cannes 2012: The Palm Dog: a prize for four-legged friends". The Daily Telegraph. London.
- "Palm Dog Award – celebrating the best dogs in cinema". June 28, 2018.
- "Past Winner 2001".
- "Past Winner 2002".
- "Past Winner 2003".
- "Past Winner 2004".
- "Past Winner 2005".
- "Palm Dog Nominees" – via www.youtube.com.
- "Past Winner 2006".
- "Past Winner 2007".
- "Past Winner 2008".
- Pixar pooch picks Up Cannes prize, May 22, 2009; retrieved on May 27, 2009
- "'Tamara Drewe' pup Boss wins 'Palm Dog'". Digital Spy. 2010-05-22. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Nissim, Mayer (2011-05-21). "'The Artist' Uggy wins 2011 'Palm Dog'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "RIP Uggie". February 18, 2012.
- "Palm dog: vincono i terrier Banjo e Poppy". la Repubblica. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- "Cannes Palm Dog Award Goes to Liberace's Blind Poodle". Variety. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Nouvelle Wag: "White God" wins Cannes' Palm Dog". Associated Press. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Kate Muir [@muirkate] (22 May 2015). "The Palm Dog #Cannes2015 goes to Lucky the Maltypoo (Maltese terrier and poodle) who plays Dixie in Miguel Gomes' Arablan Nights @Quinzaine" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 May 2015 – via Twitter.
- Kate Muir [@muirkate] (22 May 2015). "The runner up at #PalmDog15 goes to Bob from The Lobster #Cannes2015" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 May 2015 – via Twitter.
- "A Bumper Bowser Year In Cannes Crowned With Live Skype!". Palm Dog.
- "Cannes: Nellie Takes Palme Dog Honor for 'Paterson'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- Nath, Rhea (26 May 2017). "Bruno from 'The Meyerowitz Stories' has won the Cannes Palm Dog award for 2017". Scroll.in. Archived from the original on 17 June 2017. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- Muir, Kate [@muirkate] (26 May 2017). "Here is Einstein, winner of the Palm Dog for his performance as Bruno in The Meyerowitz Stories #Cannes2017" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Four-legged cast of 'Dogman' win the Palm Dog at Cannes". AFP.com. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- "Eye For Film: Palm Dog for Dogman". www.eyeforfilm.co.uk. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- "Quentin Tarantino wins Palm Dog Award". Deadline. 2019-05-24. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Quentin Tarantino Accepts Palm Dog Award For Best Cannes Canine Performance In ‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ - Deadline