Palestine Broadcasting Service
The Palestine Broadcasting Service (PBS) was the state-owned radio broadcasting station that operated from Jerusalem (with the main transmitter in Ramallah) from March 1936 until the end of the Mandate. It broadcast programs in Arabic, Hebrew, and English, with broadcasting time allotted in that order. Its Hebrew service, Kol Yerushalayim, which was inaugurated on March 30, 1936, played an important role in the development of Hebrew as a national language for the founders of Israel. While news broadcasts and political commentary was heavily censored, the PBS' cultural programs - including its live music broadcasts - played an important role in the development of interwar Palestinian and Zionist (later Israeli) national identities.
- "FROM THE ARCHIVES - A BRIEF HISTORY OF RADIO IN THE COUNTRY", Israelradio.org, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2012-11-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) (accessed May 2, 2012)
- Tamar Liebes and Zohar Kampf, "“Hello! This is Jerusalem calling”: The revival of spoken Hebrew on the Mandatory radio (1936–1948)", Journal of Israeli History: Politics, Society, Culture, Volume 29, Issue 2, 2010, 137-158
- Andrea Stanton, "Jerusalem Calling: The Birth of the Palestine Broadcasting Service", "Jerusalem Quarterly", Volume 50, Summer 2012, 6-22