Paks is a small town in Tolna county, central Hungary, on the right bank of the Danube River, 100 km south of Budapest. Paks as a former agricultural settlement is now the home of the only Hungarian nuclear power plant, which provides about 40% of the country's electricity consumption.
Sacred Heart Church
Coat of arms
Location of Paks
|Coordinates: 46.622047°N 18.855918°E|
|• Total||154.08 km2 (59.49 sq mi)|
|• Density||137/km2 (350/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||(+36) 75|
The settlement was already inhabited in ancient times. It has played a role in the Ottoman Empire times and during Rákóczi's War of Independence. In the Budapest offensive in the final stages of the Second World War, Soviet troops occupied the town at great cost, followed by four decades of communist rule. Meanwhile, it was famous for its cannery, wine and fish soup. The country's only nuclear power plant was built in Paks in the 1980s, the final decade of Soviet rule within the country.
In the 19th century, several mansions were built in the center of the old town, such as those in Szent István Tér, the main square of the town. The Roman Catholic three-isled, basilica style Sacred Heart church was consecrated in 1901. There is a tablet in the wall of the baroque Szeniczey mansion to commemorate Ferenc Deák, 'the Sage of the Country'. The Town Museum is housed in the former Cseh-Vigyázó mansion. The Calvinist and the Lutheran churches were built in 1775 and 1884 respectively.
The Catholic Holy Spirit church, built according to the design of Imre Makovecz is considered to be an outstanding work of 20th-century architecture. There is a hundred-year-old chestnut alley lining the walkway on the Danube River bank. The town hosts the Spring Festival at Whitsuntide and the International Festival of Blues, Jazz, Rock and Gastronomy.
Paksi FC is a Hungarian football club based in Paks.
Atomerőmű SE is a Hungarian basketball club based in Paks.
Bronze age hoard
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paks.|
- Official website in Hungarian, English and Russian