Pahiram ng Sandali
Pahiram ng Sandali (International title: Chasing Moments / transl. Borrow a Moment) is a Philippine television drama series broadcast by GMA Network. Directed by Maryo J. de los Reyes, it stars Dingdong Dantes and Lorna Tolentino. It premiered on November 26, 2012 on the network's Telebabad line up replacing Coffee Prince and worldwide on November 27, 2012 on GMA Pinoy TV. The series concluded on March 15, 2013 with a total of 80 episodes. It was replaced by Mundo Mo'y Akin in its timeslot.
|Pahiram ng Sandali|
|Also known as||Chasing Moments|
|Created by||Aloy Adlawan|
|Directed by||Maryo J. de los Reyes|
|Creative director(s)||Jun Lana|
|Opening theme||"Mga Nakaw na Sandali" by Jaya & Jay R|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||80|
|Executive producer(s)||Nieva M. Sabit|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMA Entertainment TV|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||November 26, 2012 –|
March 15, 2013
Alex and Cindy find love and inspiration in each other’s arms. However, the young couple parted ways when Cindy left to study abroad. She promised to come back for Alex. Though devastated, the latter continues his life and begins to pursue his dreams.
Through hard work and diligence, Alex fulfilled his longtime dream of becoming a photo journalist. Here he crosses paths with Janice, an older woman, works as an editor-in-chief in one of the famous tabloids in the country.
Janice manages her career with flying colours but such a failure when it comes to family matters [she craves for her husband’s love and attention and battles to win her only daughter’s affection]. On the other hand, Alex, being an unwanted child decided to carry out his vengeance plans against his biological father by becoming extremely successful. These two lonely souls finds solace in each other, and despite their age gap and social differences, prove that anyone can be bound in friendship. But their special friendship grows into an unlikely romance. Things get more complicated when Alex learns that Janice is Cindy’s mother!
Cast and characters
- Lorna Tolentino as Janice Alvaro-Reyes
- A media executive and the editor-in-chief of "Pinoy Reporter"—one of the popular tabloids in the country. She is hurt by her husband's lack of interest and is flattered by a young man's sincere interest and affection.
- Dingdong Dantes as Alex Santiago
- A photo journalist in Pinoy Reporter, a tabloid owns and runs by his biological father, Larry Gomez. Alex is man driven by his desire to care for his mother and to prove his worth to his father. He falls in love with Janice Alvaro, an older woman, whose love realigns his goals in life.
- Christopher de Leon as Philip Reyes
- Janice's husband; a famous lawyer [though he owed everything he has to his wife]. His ego drives him to commits the greatest mistakes of his life and indulges an illicit affair with a much younger woman, Baby Umali, which gains the wrath of his only daughter, Cindy.
- Max Collins as Cindy Reyes
- The only daughter of Philip and Janice Reyes. Cindy is an independent and adventurous woman who falls for Alex Santiago and later finds herself entangled in a love triangle with her mom.
- Alessandra De Rossi as Baby Umali
- Mark Gil as Larry Gomez
- Gomez runs "The Philippine Examiner", considered as the most respected and influential news paper in the country and the sister-newspaper of "Pinoy Reporter". He is Alex Santiago's biological father who abandoned him several years ago.
- Sandy Andolong as Thea Santiago
- Alex and Franz's loving and protective mother. She spends her life as a destitute mother whose only dream is to raise her children the best way she can.
- Kristofer Martin as Franz dela Cruz
- Alex Santiago's half-brother; Thea's son with Berting dela Cruz. Grew up as a rebellious son and envies his older brother because of the love and attention that Thea’s been exerting to him.
- Isabel Rivas as Diana Gomez
- The spouse of Larry and mother to Andrew. She is also the woman who was instrumental in catapulting Larry to his present stature [her family owned a huge publishing house which is now runs by Larry]. Diana loves her husband to a passion and would go to any length just to keep him.
- Neil Ryan Sese as Andrew Gomez
- The only son and heir of Larry and Diana Gomez. As arrogant as his father, Andrew grew happy-go-lucky and enjoys his family's wealth without the responsibilities. He falls in love with his childhood sweetheart, Cindy and will be entangled in a love triangle with his half-brother, Alex Santiago.
- Roy Alvarez as Romer Alcaraz
- A veteran hard news reporter and columnist of the tabloid, "Pinoy Reporter". He meets Alex Santiago and become his protégé. A man of full of values, he teaches Alex to "value and appreciate every single moment because everything is just borrowed".
- Luz Valdez as Trining Alvaro
- Janice Alvaro's doting spinster aunt-personal assistant-best friend-confidante-conscience and defender rolled into one.
- Julio Diaz as Berting dela Cruz
- Thea Santiago's live in partner and father of Franz. An unprincipled man who loves to drink and gamble rather than to work for his family.
- Caridad Sanchez as Salve Umali
- Baby's supportive and equally tough grandmother. Salve is ready to do whatever it takes just to protect her granddaughter from further pains and disappointments.
- Neri Naig as Regina
- Pinoy Reporter’s novelist-turned-police crime reporter. Her nerdy looks and being "loveless forever" become points of humor within the office. Regina eventually developed a genuine fondness for Alex Santiago, which causes friction between her and Cindy Reyes.
- Marissa Sanchez as Sonia
- The psychic and horoscope writer of Pinoy Reporter. She is also the leader of the "gossip group" in the office, wherein she knows everything, including her bosses' personal issues and flaws. Sonia often uses the catch phrase pick up line, "Naba-vibes ko..." (I sense vibes...).
- Diva Montelaba as Benita "Kimberly" Labastida
- Franz dela Cruz's girlfriend whom he met in a cheap spa wherein she works as a masseuse offering "extra services".
- Tanya Gomez as Glenda
- Mark Marasigan as Perry
- Joshua Aragon as Jake Labastida
- Nenita's irresponsible family.
- Mike Jovida as Henry
- Lawyer friend of Philip".
Production and development
After the sudden cancellation of Haram (lit. Forbidden) which was shelved due to controversies and sensitivity issues involving Islamic faith, GMA Network management decide to come up for a new project making use of the same cast. Series' creator Suzette Doctolero with creative head, Jake Tordesillas and Entertainment TV head, Lilybeth Rasonable began conceptualizing the series under the title "Hiram na Sandali" (lit. Borrowed Moment) in early October 2012. Doctolero decided to pitch the series about "May–December affair" to GMA Entertainment TV Group, since she thought it would be the best replacement for Haram. The network's Drama Department found the concept interesting, since it is "unusual" for a local drama serial to discuss that kind of concept. The title was later changed to Pahiram ng Sandali.
The series has five main casts (fixed cast) being Lorna Tolentino, Dingdong Dantes, Christopher de Leon, Max Collins and Alessandra de Rossi; with eight prominent supporting characters. Tolentino was cast as Janice, a married woman who fell in love in a much younger guy – Alex which played by Dantes. Tolentino finds the series as a "masterpiece" and stated that she can’t let go of the script until she finish reading it till the last page. On the other hand, Dantes expounds, "Words will never be enough to articulate the beauty of Pahiram ng Sandali as an artwork". Teen actress, Kylie Padilla was originally cast as Cindy, but later backed out due to its "far too adult" contents for her age and would require her to do very sensitive scenes that will put her in conflict with her Muslim faith. Collins took over the place left by Padilla as Dantes' second leading lady.
The producer hires Maryo J. delos Reyes to helm the series. Delos Reyes stated that the material has become more intriguing compared to the shelved Haram, since it’s now a love triangle story between a mother, a daughter, and the man who comes between them. "Directing stories about relationships is my comfort zone," Delos Reyes added. He has done many films with some of the senior stars of the cast except for Dantes who he works for the first time for this series. Series’ production began in November 12, 2012 in Quezon City.
According to AGB Nielsen Philippines' Mega Manila household television ratings, the pilot episode of Pahiram ng Sandali earned a 23.7% rating. While the final episode scored a 25.1% rating.
Mario Bautista of Journal reviews: "Max (Collins) got praised particularly for that scene last Wednesday when she went to bed with Dingdong and he realizes that she's still a virgin. Director Maryo de los Reyes really handled that delicate scene quite well."
|2013||US International Film and Video Festival||Certificate for Creative Excellence||Best Telenovela||Pahiram ng Sandali||Won|
|Philippine Movie and Television Press Club||27th PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Primetime Drama Series||Nominated|
|Television Asia Plus||18th Asian Television Awards||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Lorna Tolentino||Highly commended|
|2014||Entertainment Press Society||11th ENPRESS Golden Screen Television Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Drama Series||Pending|
|Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Drama Series||Dingdong Dantes||Pending|
|Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series||Neil Ryan Sese||Pending|
|Outstanding Original Drama Series||Pahiram ng Sandali||Pending|
|Vietnam||SNTV SCTV6||Tình trong khoảnh khắc|
- Dimaculangan, Jocelyn. "Dingdong Dantes and Lorna Tolentino talk about their kissing scene in Pahiram ng Sandali". pep.ph.
- Garcia, Rose. "Dingdong Dantes on May-December affair: "Siguro naman, sa pag-ibig, wala namang kinikilalang edad na kahit ano."". pep.ph.
- Garcia, Rose. "Christopher de Leon on Pahiram Ng Sandali co-star Dingdong Dantes: "He's a big star and a good one."". pep.ph.
- Garcia, Rose. "Max Collins on kissing scene with Dingdong Dantes: "It's just work. Kaya work lang din po ang trato namin sa eksena at trabaho lang po."". pep.ph.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 4, 2012. Retrieved December 21, 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Garcia, Rose. "PEP EXCLUSIVE: Alessandra de Rossi explains why she can't do kissing scenes and why she doesn't like playing lead in teleseryes". pep.ph.
- Garcia, Rose. "Mark Gil on Andi Eigenmann-Jake Ejercito breakup: "I'm looking at a parent's point of view, but I really wish that private matters should stay private."". pep.ph.
- "Mark Gil gives advice to daughter Andi Eigenmann: 'Huwag muna 'yang love'". gmanetwork.com.
- "GMA Network pulls off a casting coup via Pahiram ng Sandali". www.gmanetwork.com.
- "Cast ng 'Pahiram ng Sandali', sumabak na sa unang araw ng taping". www.gmanetwork.com.
- Santiago, Erwin (November 27, 2012). "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (Nov. 21-26): Coffee Prince finishes on top; Pahiram Ng Sandali starts with a bang". Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- Tuazon, Nikko (March 19, 2013). "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (March 15 to 17): Magpakailanman beats rival program MMK". Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- "GMA Network wins in 2013 US film/video fest - Philstar.com". philstar.com.
- "TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter". www.twitlonger.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 20, 2013. Retrieved November 13, 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Calderon, Ricky. "Golden Screen TV Awards nominees revealed". pep.ph.