It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Päijänne Tavastia region. The municipality has a population of 2,952 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 729.85 square kilometres (281.80 sq mi) of which 206.68 km2 (79.80 sq mi) is water. The population density is 5.64 inhabitants per square kilometre (14.6/sq mi).
Coat of arms
Location of Padasjoki in Finland
|Coordinates: 61°21′N 025°16.5′E|
|• Municipal manager||Heikki Jaakkola|
|• Total||729.85 km2 (281.80 sq mi)|
|• Land||523.19 km2 (202.00 sq mi)|
|• Water||206.68 km2 (79.80 sq mi)|
|Area rank||167th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||227th largest in Finland|
|• Density||5.64/km2 (14.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.9% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.3%|
|• 15 to 64||58.2%|
|• 65 or older||28.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Padasjoki is known as a summer cottage municipality. By number, it has more holiday homes than permanent residents.
Sights and events
In February, Padasjoki hosts 7.5km long annual full moon skiing event and competition on the frozen Lake Päijänne. In March there is another skiing event on Lake Päijänne called Postihiihto. Week before midsummer it's time for annual nude run event Nakukymppi held in Vesijako village. During the first weekend of July Sahtimarkkinat a home-brewed beer market is been held in Padasjoki village centre. The Padasjoki Marina also loans itself every second year as the starting point for a sailing competition (Päijännepurjehdus).
- Enni Ids Cabin
- The Granary Museum
- The Palsa Mill Museum
- The Torittu Village Smithy Museum
- Gallery Pikantti
- Ala-Savi’s Art
- Ars Arrakoski
- Ars Auttoinen
- Päijänne National Park
- Evo Hiking Area
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Päijät-Hämeen Museomatka :: Padasjoki". www.phmuseomatka.fi. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- Municipality of Padasjoki – Official website (in Finnish)