Pack Up Your Troubles (1940 film)
Pack Up Your Troubles is a 1940 British comedy film directed by Oswald Mitchell and starring Reginald Purdell, Wylie Watson and Patricia Roc. It takes its name from the First World War marching song "Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit-Bag".
|Pack Up Your Troubles|
|Directed by||Oswald Mitchell|
|Produced by||F.W. Baker|
|Written by||Milton Hayward |
|Starring||Reginald Purdell |
|Music by||Percival Mackey|
|Distributed by||Butcher's Film Service (UK)|
Garage owner Tommy (Reginald Purdell) and ventriloquist friend Eric (Wylie Watson) join the army and travel to France, where they are captured by the Nazis. However, Eric's voice-throwing skills come in handy in engineering their escape and in obtaining top secret information.
- Reginald Purdell as Tommy Perkins
- Wylie Watson as Eric Sampson
- Patricia Roc as Sally Brown
- Wally Patch as Sgt. Barker
- Muriel George as Mrs. Perkins
- Ernest Butcher as Jack Perkins
- Manning Whiley as Muller
- G.H. Mulcaster as Col. Diehard
TV Guide called it a "Lightweight comedy worth watching for Purdell's and Watson's nice comic performances." and Sky Cinema similarly approved of the pair, "They're pretty funny together," though considered the plot "routine," but found compensation in "a very young and pretty Patricia Roc and some good old music-hall songs include Roll Out the Barrel, Pack Up Your Troubles and Goodbye Sally," concluding that the film was "Cheerful nonsense."
- Chibnall & McFarlane p.8
- "Pack up Your Troubles (1940)".
- "Pack up Your Troubles (1940) - Oswald Mitchell - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "1940s Top Songs: lyrics for Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag". www.traditionalmusic.co.uk.
- "Pack Up Your Troubles". TVGuide.com.
- "Pack Up Your Troubles".
- Chibnall, Steve & McFarlane, Brian. The British 'B' Film. Palgrave MacMillan, 2009.