PS Victoria (1881)
|Port of registry:||
|Builder:||Aitken and Mansel, Whiteinch|
|Launched:||9 September 1881|
|Out of service:||September 1900|
|Tonnage:||366 gross register tons (GRT)|
|Length:||191.9 feet (58.5 m)|
|Beam:||25.1 feet (7.7 m)|
|Depth:||8.6 feet (2.6 m)|
The ship was built in steel by Aitken and Mansel and launched on 9 September 1881. Her engines were by David Rowan of Glasgow. She was the first ship constructed for a joint venture between the London and South Western Railway and the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway for the passenger trade to the Isle of Wight. She was double-ended, with two funnels.
Official registries show that in 1899 she transferred to the Isle of Wight and South of England Royal Mail Steam Packet Company and was scrapped in 1900. However, there is no mention of her ever being purchased or chartered in the company records.
- Duckworth, Christian Leslie Dyce; Langmuir, Graham Easton (1968). Railway and other Steamers. Prescot, Lancashire: T. Stephenson and Sons.
- "Launch at Whiteinch". Glasgow Herald. Scotland. 10 September 1881. Retrieved 14 November 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- Adams, Keith (2010). Red Funnel 150 Celebrating One Hundred and Fifty Years of The Original Isle of Wight Ferries. Richard Danielson. p. 15. ISBN 9780951315552.