Outwood Academy Ripon
Outwood Academy Ripon is a small mixed secondary school and sixth form with academy status situated in the city of Ripon, in North Yorkshire, England. It provides for children ages 11 to 18, and had an enrolment of 656 pupils in 2018.
|Outwood Academy Ripon|
|Local authority||North Yorkshire|
|Department for Education URN||137412 Tables|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Enrolment||656 as of January 2018|
|Houses||Africa, Americas, Australasia, Europe|
|Colour(s)||Purple and gold|
The school is operated by Outwood Grange Academies Trust and the current principal is Gemma Trattles.
The school originally opened as a secondary modern in the 1930s. It was known as Ripon City School from the mid-1990s until 1999, when it became Ripon College, a community school.
In 2000, teacher James Kelly was a regional winner in the "Most Outstanding New Teacher" category of the Teaching Awards.
On 11 November 2015, approximately 40 pupils at the school simultaneously fell ill during an Armistice Day service. Police said students showed signs of "sickness and feeling faint sometime between 11:00 and 11.30".
Each pupil belongs to one of 21 tutor groups, known as vertical mentor groups (VMGs), which assemble after second lesson and take part in different activities. The mentor groups contain pupils from years 7-11 with the exception of Algeria which is purely Sixth Form.
Special educational needs provision
A specialist team of teaching assistants and special educational needs (SEN) managers work together in 'The Hub' to ensure that students in need of extra support are getting it. Teachers from the Hub will mentor students either on site in the Hub or in the students lessons alongside the main class teacher.
The Bridge operate a 'Bridge Pass' scheme where students in lessons feel like they need a time out or extra support can complete the rest in the Bridge.
- "Outwood Academy Ripon". get-information-schools.service.gov.uk. Department for Education. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "FEATURE: Secondary education in Ripon". Ripon Gazette. Johnston Publishing. 20 December 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Ripon College". EduBase. Department for Education. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "In with a bang". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media. 31 October 2000. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "School pupils collapse at Outwood Academy in Ripon". BBC News. 11 November 2015.