Outwood Academy Normanby
Outwood Academy Normanby (formerly Hillsview Academy) is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status, located in the South Bank suburb of Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England. It has a mixed intake of boys and girls ages 11–18, with 600 pupils on roll as of 2019.
|Outwood Academy Normanby|
|Local authority||Redcar and Cleveland|
|Department for Education URN||147544 Tables|
|Chair of Governors||Susan Maidens|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Enrolment||599 as of January 2019|
|Colour(s)||Purple & gold|
The school is operated by Outwood Grange Academies Trust, and the current principal is Andrew Wappat.
The school was established as Hillsview Academy on 1 September 2014, through the merger of Eston Park and Gillbrook academies on the Gillbrook site. Although Gillbrook supported the merger, Eston Park opposed it with the proposal prompting parental protests. Both the predecessor schools had been rated as inadequate by Ofsted. Eston Park was placed in special measures on the 22 May 2013 and Gillbrook in serious weaknesses in December 2013. The two schools adopted a joint Governing Board who arranged the merger.
Both predecessor schools and the merged Hillsview Academy were operated by Academies Enterprise Trust (AET).
A 2017 Ofsted report found Hillsview Academy to be "inadequate", noting instances of racism, bullying, truancy and smoking. Hillsview Academy was placed into special measures and in May 2019 AET announced that the school would be transferred to a new sponsor organisation, Outwood Grange Academies Trust (OGAT).
The school's uniform comprises a black school jacket (blazer), white shirt/blouse, black trousers/skirt and tie.
- "Outwood Academy Normanby". get-information-schools.service.gov.uk. Department for Education. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Hillsview Academy". get-information-schools.service.gov.uk. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- Maddison, Lee (16 May 2013). "Two Eston academies to merge from September". Evening Gazette. Archived from the original on 21 October 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Robson, Dave (13 February 2014). "Gillbrook Academy vows to fight back from 'inadequate' Ofsted rating". Evening Gazette. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Inspection report: Eston Park Academy, 22–23 May 2013" (pdf). Ofsted. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- Robert, Merrick (9 July 2013). "Education Secretary criticises charity after academy placed in special measures". The Northern Echo. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- Dave, Robson (13 February 2014). "Gillbrook Academy vows to fight back from 'inadequate' Ofsted rating". Evening Gazette (Teesside). Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- Hare, Sue. "About Us". Gillbrook Academy. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Brown, Mike (18 July 2017). "Racism, bullying and smoking found in school inspection". gazettelive. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Brown, Mike (5 May 2019). "New leadership at failing school as Outwood take over". gazettelive. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- McNeal, Ian (27 June 2019). "New name & leaders confirmed for troubled Hillsview Academy". gazettelive. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "Uniform". Outwood Academy Normanby. Retrieved 14 September 2019.