Oton, officially the Municipality of Oton, (Hiligaynon: Banwa sang Oton, Kinaray-a: Banwa kang Oton, Tagalog: Bayan ng Oton), is a 1st class municipality in the province of Iloilo, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 89,115 people.
|Municipality of Oton|
Second oldest Spanish settlement in the Philippines
Banwang Panganay of Western Visayas
Map of Iloilo with Oton highlighted
|Coordinates: 10°41′35″N 122°28′25″E|
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|District||1st district of Iloilo|
|Founding of settlement||1566|
|Formal townhood||May 3, 1572|
|Barangays||37 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Carina V. Flores|
|• Vice Mayor||Vicente B. Flores Jr.|
|• Congresswoman||Janette L. Garin|
|• Electorate||50,568 voters (2019)|
|• Total||86.44 km2 (33.37 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,000/km2 (2,700/sq mi)|
|• Income class||1st municipal income class|
|• Poverty incidence||15.28% (2015)|
|• Revenue (₱)||184,113,453.06 (2016)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)33|
|Climate type||tropical climate|
|Native languages||Kinaray-a language|
Oton is 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) west from Iloilo City. The town is a part of Metro Iloilo-Guimaras which encompasses the whole island province of Guimaras with its municipalities, the Iloilo City, and the Iloilo provincial towns of Leganes, San Miguel, Santa Barbara, and Cabatuan.
Oton was settled by primitive Malays . A gold mask was discovered from that period. Spanish arrived in middle of 16th century and made Oton as Capital of Panay , Negros , Capiz , Antique and Romblon. From Oton as capital , spanish missionaries spread catholic church in neighboring settlements such as Jaro , Yloilo , Tigbaun , Cordova, Alimodian , Igabaras , Tubungan , Camando , Damilisan , and Tiolas. A new agricultural products from Mexico Galleon Trade arrived in Oton where a number of ships arriving from Cebu are stationed and then moved to Manila. Because Oton was difficult to be defended from pillaging Muslim pirates , the Spanish Governor decided to move the capital to few kilomters away in Iloilo.
Oton is politically subdivided into 37 barangays.
- Abilay Norte
- Abilay Sur
- Batuan Ilaud
- Batuan Ilaya
- Bita Norte
- Bita Sur
- Cabolo-an Norte
- Cabolo-an Sur
- Poblacion East
- Poblacion North
- Poblacion South
- Poblacion West
- Pulo Maestra Vita
- San Antonio
- San Nicolas
- Santa Clara
- Santa Monica
- Santa Rita
- Tagbac Norte
- Tagbac Sur
The economy of oton was fueled by growing number of real estates and with geographic advantage due to proximity to Iloilo. Due to increasing demand of retail , Gaisano Oton and Puregold Oton was built. The Iloilo Provincial Agricultural Statistics reported rice production and fruits are among top economic driver. It has a number of hotels , resorts and restaurants.
|Population census of Oton|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Iloilo". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "PSA releases the 2015 Municipal and City Level Poverty Estimates". Quezon City, Philippines. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Iloilo". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oton, Iloilo.|