Opera Boston was an opera company in Boston, Massachusetts. It specialized in less-frequently heard repertoire as well as modern works or opera premieres, along with opera education and outreach programs designed to bring opera education to children both in schools and after-school programs throughout the Boston area.
After eight years, it was announced on 23 December 2011 that Opera Boston would cease operations on 1 January 2012. Board chairman Winifred Gray and president Gregory Bulger cited "an insurmountable budget deficit" as the reason.
In addition to its regular season the company mounted an "Opera Unlimited Festival" which presented 20th and 21st century chamber opera in an outdoor setting, free of charge. The Festival also commissioned new works.
- Berg, Thomasine. "Opera Boston to close down". Boston Globe. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Opera Boston: Mission and Vision" at OperaBoston.org. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Opera Boston : Operas: Repertory History" at OperaBoston.org. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- List of works by Elena Ruehr. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- Stage works by Daniel Pinkham. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Opera Boston : Operas – 2009–2010 Season" at OperaBoston.org. Retrieved 14 February 2010.