Opening Ceremony (brand)
|Founded||September 2002 in New York City, United States|
New York City,
Carol Lim and Humberto Leon, partners since they were in college in UC Berkeley in the 1990s, decided to leave their jobs in corporate fashion to realize their unique dream after inspired by a visit to Hong Kong and that city’s thirst for fashion. They founded Opening Ceremony and opened their first SoHo store on the border of Chinatown in September 2002 in downtown New York City as a place to share their passions for travel, art, and fashion. Further stores followed in midtown New York City, Los Angeles, and Tokyo. The Tokyo store, located in Shibuya, was ranked by American magazine Complex as the 4th best store in the world in 2013.
Opening Ceremony has collaborated with brands including Rodarte, Topshop, Pendleton, Maison Margiela, Columbia, Vans, Reebok, Gentle Monster, Disney, Esprit, The Muppets, Margritte, Adidas Originals, Kodak, and has become known for its projects with creatives like Spike Jonze, Terence Koh, Yoko Ono and Chloë Sevigny. In 2011, Lim and Leon became the creative directors of French clothing brand Kenzo.
In popular culture
- "Humberto Leon and Carol Liam of Opening Ceremony".
- "About Carol Lim & Humberto Leon - Creative Time". Creative Time. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- Menkes, Suzy (2011-09-09). "Humberto Leon and Carol Lim of Opening Ceremony on their challenge at Kenzo". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- "Humberto Leon and Carol Lim - Interview Magazine". Interview Magazine. 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- "The 50 Best Stores in the World". Complex. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- "The Success of Opening Ceremony's Carol Lim and Humberto Leon". ELLE. 2010-08-18. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- Alexander, Ella. "Kenzo's New Era". www.vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- Omarion Ft. Chris Brown & Jhene Aiko - Post To Be (Official Video) YouTube Published: February 17, 2015
- "Spike Jonze and Jonah Hill Turn the Fashion World Inside Out". Vanity Fair.