Onex Corporation is an investment manager founded in 1984. The firm manages capital on behalf of Onex shareholders, institutional investors and high net worth clients around the world. As of September 30, 2019, Onex had approximately US$38 billion of assets under management. It invests and manages capital through four platforms: Onex Partners (private equity funds focused on larger market opportunities in North America and Europe); ONCAP (private equity funds focused on smaller and middle-market opportunities in North America); Onex Credit (invests in non-investment grade debt through various strategies); and Gluskin Sheff (a wealth manager with public equity and public credit strategies). Onex and its management teams are collectively the largest investors across Onex's investment platforms.
|Traded as||TSX: ONEX|
|Industry||Private Equity, Private Debt, Public Equity, Public Debt|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Gerry Schwartz (CEO/Chairman)|
|Products||Private equity funds, investment vehicles focused on non-investment grade debt (Collateralized Loan Obligations, Private Debt funds), Public Equity strategies, Public Debt strategies|
Number of employees
Founder Gerry Schwartz had previously worked at Bear Stearns in New York City during the 1970s, under investor Jerome Kohlberg, Jr., who later became a founding partner of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts. Schwartz returned to Canada, where he started working with Izzy Asper.
Schwartz founded Onex in 1984 and took the company public in 1987. The firm focused on private equity investing in North America using capital from its balance sheet for the first 16 years of its history. In 2000, it started raising investment vehicles with third-party capital with the launch of ONCAP, which focuses on smaller and middle market opportunities. In 2003 the first Onex Partners fund was raised. Today, the majority of Onex’s private equity investments are made through these two platforms.
In 2007, Onex invested in a credit manager, which later became Onex Credit. The platform offers various strategies, with the largest being Collateralized Loan Obligations.
Since its founding, the firm has generated a gross multiple of invested capital of 2.6x and a gross internal rate of return of 27% on its realized private equity investments (as of September 30, 2019).
Private Equity Investments
The firm's private equity investments are made in a wide array of industries including consumer & retail, financial services, healthcare, industrials, services and technology, media & telecom. The firm prefers to have majority control over its subsidiaries and focusses on three primary investment strategies: cost reductions and operational restructurings; platforms for add-on acquisitions; and carve-outs from multinational corporations.
Other companies which Onex owns or has owned a share include Celestica, Cineplex Entertainment, Spirit AeroSystems, Sitel, American Medical Response, Hawker Beechcraft, EmCare, JELD-WEN, Carestream Health, Purolator, Husky Injection Molding Systems, Allison Transmission, Canadian Securities Institute, Cici's, Sky Chefs, BBAM, Emerald Expositions, Tomkins, SIG Combibloc Group, Clarivate Analytics, Save-A-Lot, SMG and many others.
In May 2019, Onex announced it had reached an agreement to acquire WestJet. Shareholders approved the buyout in July. The deal closed on December 11, 2019, following final regulatory approval.
- "Home". ONEX Corporation. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "Onex website". Financial Post.
- News; Street, F. P. (2019-03-25). "Onex to buy wealth manager Gluskin Sheff in $445 million deal | Financial Post". Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "GM selling Allison for $5.6 billion". Reuters. 2007-06-28. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- ONEX. ONEX. Retrieved on 2013-09-19.
- Bhaswati Mukhopadhyay (6 May 2013). "Nielsen to sell expositions business to Canadian PE firm for $950 million". Reuters.
- "Private Equity firm Onex has agreed to acquire cartons giant SIG Combibloc Group in a reported $4.6bn deal". Packaging News. Retrieved 2014-11-24.
- "Supervalu to Sell Save-A-Lot Chain to Onex for $1.37 Billion".
- "Meet the wealthy Canadian behind Onex and the deal to buy WestJet". Global News. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- July 23, Reuters Updated:; 2019 (2019-07-23). "WestJet shareholders approve private equity buyout by Onex | Calgary Herald". Retrieved 2019-11-14.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)