One World Family
One World Family is an album by American jazz percussionist Kahil El'Zabar with saxophonist David Murray, which was recorded in 2000 and released on CIMP. They recorded previously the 1989 duo album Golden Sea.
|One World Family|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||March 28 & 29, 2000|
|Studio||Spirit Room, Rossie, New York|
|Producer||Robert D. Rusch|
|Kahil El'Zabar chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|
In his review for AllMusic, Steve Loewy notes "As with other issues on the CIMP label, there are no commercial concessions, and the two musicians achieve a duality in which they often achieve an almost spiritual union."
The Penguin Guide to Jazz states "A lovely session, from the quietly ruminative discourse of 'Ryan' Groove' to the closing optimism of the title track."
The All About Jazz review by Derek Taylor says "This is Soul music, pure and simple. No excess trappings or accoutrements. Just two men opening their minds and hearts in front of the mics and coming up with undiluted aural magic gleaned from a Griot tapestry of traditions."
In his review for JazzTimes Ron Wynn states "One World Family is exquisite, soulful and highly personal music, performed with care and integrity."
- All compositions by Kahil El'Zabar except as indicated
- "Ryan's Groove" – 11:08
- "Serendipitous Journey" – 8:22
- "Far Too Long" (David Murray) – 10:08
- "Upsy Daisey" – 6:14
- "Noodle Doodle take 2" – 7:03
- "Kelcey's Mystery Oasis" (David Murray) – 6:15
- "Noodle Doodle take 3" – 5:34
- "Junction Function" – 7:05
- "One World Family" – 7:51
- Loewy, Steve. Kahil El'Zabar – One World Family: Review at AllMusic. Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2002). The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (6th ed.). London: Penguin. p. 470. ISBN 0140515216.
- Taylor, Derek. One World Family review at All About Jazz
- Wynn, Ron One World Family review at JazzTimes