Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education
The Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE) formerly Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE) is a subdivision of the United States Department of Education. OCTAE falls under the supervision of the Undersecretary, who oversees policies, programs and activities related to vocational and adult education, postsecondary education, college aid and the President's financial reforms for the Pell Grant program.
|Education in the United States|
OCTAE's director has the rank of Assistant Secretary and serves as the principal adviser to the Secretary of Education on matters related to high school, career technical and adult education and lifelong learning as well as community colleges, workforce and economic development. He also represents the Department at national and international meetings related to vocational and adult education. The Office administers, coordinates, and recommends policy for improving quality and excellence of programs related to the Office's focus areas.
OCTAE's programs fall into four general areas:
- Adult education and literacy, represented within OCTAE by the Division of Adult Education and Literacy (DAEL)
- Rural education, represented by the Center for Rural Education
- Career and technical education
- Community colleges
OCTAE is responsible for a variety of annual reports to Congress, the President, and the public, and currently publishes the OVAE Fact Sheet series which highlights the Office's activities in support of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. OVAE also undertakes statistical research in areas relating to its focus areas; for example, the 2002 National Assessment of Vocational Education and the Adult Education Facts at a Glance.
- OCTAE home page at https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/index.html
- Agency Listing at AllGov
- "Office of Vocational and Adult Education: Who is Brenda Dann-Messier?" - AllGov
- "U.S. Department of Education Awards Two Blanket Purchase Agreements to Kratos" - Fox Business
- "First Report on Online Occupational Education in Community Colleges is Released by National CTE Research Center" - Sys-Con Media
- "Class Acts" - News Telegram
- "Wonderlic General Assessment of Instructional Needs (GAIN) Assessment Approved by U.S. Department of Education" - TMC News