Odessa Film Studio
Odessa Film Studio (Ukrainian: Одеська кіностудія художніх фільмів) is the first film studio established in Russian Empire (Odessa). It is partially owned by a government and supervised by the Department of State property fund of Ukraine together with the Ministry of Culture. Together with Dovzhenko Film Studios they are the only state-owned and major film producers in the country. The studio is located at Frantsuzky bulvar 33 (33 French Boulevard), Odessa, Ukraine. In a close vicinity to it is located a smaller film studio House of Mask.
|Closed Joint-stock company|
|Headquarters||Frantsuzkyi bulvar 33, Odessa, Ukraine|
|Viktor Nozdriukhin-Zabolotnyi (acting Chairman)|
|Products||Motion pictures, TV films|
|Owner||Government of Ukraine (50%+1) |
and Nova Film Studios LLC
|Parent||Odessa Film Studios of featured films |
Nova Film Studios
History and reorganization
- It was founded on 23 May 1919 by the decision of the Odessa Governorate Executive Committee out of the remnants of cinema studios of Myron Grossman, Dmitriy Kharitonov, and Borisov. This date was the day of birth of the first in the country state film studio. At first, it was listed as "Political film section of political department and of 41st Division of the Red Army", and the first feature film filmed here was the "Spiders and flies." The original studios went into decline after the Russian Civil War and the Ukrainian War of Independence, as their owners emigrated, running from political prosecution. Grossman's film studio "Myrograph" existed in Odessa since 1907 and was the oldest one recorded in Ukraine.
- In 1922, "film sektion" was reorganized into Odessa Film Factory of All-Ukrainian Photo Cinema Administration (VUFKU). The Odessa film studio, which was VUFKU’s main production facility, underwent extensive renovations. The studio purchased its new modern equipment in the West, allowing the studio to shoot, light, and process the film stock using state-of-the-art technology. In 1926, Vyacheslav Levandovskyi and Deviatkin created an animation studio of VUFKU.
- In 1930, VUFKU was reorganized into "Ukrainafilm" of "Soyuzkino" (Union-cinema).
- In 2005, Odessa film studio was reorganized to a Close Joint Stock Company (with the government owning the majority of shares).
The studio is located in the downtown right near the shore of Black Sea covering some 7 hectares (17 acres) and consisting of three pavilions of 600 square metres (6,500 sq ft), 432 square metres (4,650 sq ft), and 240 square metres (2,600 sq ft). Inside the studio's building is located another film studio, Vira Kholodna Film Studio and the Odessa Film School. The Odessa Film Studio has its own movie theater, U-Cinema, which is also located in the same building.
On the territory of the studio there is a Museum of the Cinema, in which you can find out about many interesting facts on the history of the cinema. Here you can find historic materials, from the invention of cinema, to the postmodern, digital and avant garde.
. In addition, the main Ukraine post service issued a special anniversary stamp dedicated to the Odessa film studio.
- 1926 Ягідка кохання / Love's Berries, directed by Oleksandr Dovzhenko (silent film)
- 1926 Вася – реформатор / Vasia the Reformer, directed by Oleksandr Dovzhenko (silent film)
- 1926 Тарас Трясило / Taras Triasylo, directed by Petro Chardynin (silent film)
- 1926 Тарас Шевченко / Taras Shevchenko, directed by Petro Chardynin (silent film)
- 1927 Сумка дипкур'єра / The Diplomatic Pouch, directed by Oleksandr Dovzhenko (silent film)
- 1928 Арсенал / Arsenal, directed by Oleksandr Dovzhenko (silent film)
- 1928 Звенигора / Zvenyhora, directed by Oleksandr Dovzhenko (silent film)
- 1936 Назар Стодоля / Nazar Stodolia, directed by Heorhiy Tasin
- 1941 Таємничий острів / Mysterious Island, directed by Eduard Pentslin
- 1957 Орлёнок / Orlyonok, directed by Eduard Nikandrovich Bocharov
- 1967 Короткі зустрічі / Brief Encounters, directed by Kira Muratova
- 1978 Д'Артаньян та три мушкетери / D'Artagnan and Three Musketeers, directed by Heorhiy Yungvald-Khilkevych
- 1979 Пригоди Електроніка / The Adventures of the Elektronic, directed by Kostiantyn Bromberg
- 1979 Місце зустрічі змінити не можна / The Meeting Place Cannot Be Changed, directed by Stanislav Hovorukhin
- 1982 Трест, що луснув / The Trust That Has Burst, directed by Oleksandr Pavlovskyi
- 1982 Чарівники / Wizards, directed by Kostiantyn Bromberg
- 1983 Серед сірих каменів / Among Grey Stones, directed by Kira Muratova
- 1983 Військово-польовий роман / Wartime Romance, directed by Petro Todorovskyi
- 1983 Колесо історії / Wheel of History, directed by Stanislav Klymenko
- 1986 У пошуках капітана Гранта / In search of Captain Grant, directed by Stanislav Hovorukhin
- 1987 Данило — князь Галицький / Danylo — Kniaz of Halychyna, directed by Yaroslav Lupiy
- 1989 Астенічний синдром / The Asthenic Syndrome, directed by Kira Muratova
- 1991 Чудо в краю забуття / Miracle in the Land of Oblivion, directed by Natalia Motuzko
- 1999 Як коваль щастя шукав / How the Blacksmith Looked for Happiness, directed by Radomyr Vasylevsky
- 2001 На Полі Крові / Akeldama, directed by Yaroslav Lupiy
- 2007 Біля річки / At the River, directed by Eva Neymann
- Myron Grossman (1908-1918) (considered a founder of Odessa cinematography)
- Pyotr Chardynin (1923-1932)
- Les Kurbas (1922-1925)
- Georgiy Tasin, the first studio director in 1922
- Vladimir Braun
- Amvrosiy Buchma
- Kira Muratova and Oleksandr Muratov
- Vadym Kostromenko, currently the director of the museum
- Vadym Avloshenko
- Pyotr Todorovsky
- Vera Kholodnaya (1914-1919) (featured in 35 films)
- Daria Zerkalova
- Natalya Uzhviy
- Matviy Lyarov
- "Kinofest NYC - VUFKU History". kinofestnyc.com. Retrieved 2016-12-01.