October 2016 Baghdad attacks
On 15 October 2016, four attacks in and around Baghdad, Iraq, resulted in the deaths of at least 60 victims and at least seven attackers, while injuring at least 80 more people. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant are believed to be behind the suicide bombing and two mass shootings.
|2016 October Baghdad attacks|
|Part of Iraqi Civil War (2014–2017)|
|Date||15 October 2016 (AST)|
|Target||Shi'ite Muslims, policemen, Ishaqi Mobilization militia|
|Weapons||Suicide bomb, guns|
|Deaths||79+ (not including at least eight attackers)|
|Perpetrator||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
The first attack occurred when a funeral was being held for a local resident in the al-Shaab district of Baghdad inside a tent. People were taking part in Shi'ite rituals, where they mourn the killing of the Islamic prophet Muhammad's grandson Husayn ibn Ali, which occurred during the 7th century. When they were doing this, a suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest blew himself up in the middle of the gathering, killing at least 44 people and injuring at least 57. ISIL claimed this attack.
The second attack happened in Mutaibija, Tikrit, when gunmen opened fire on policemen, killing eight of them and injuring eleven. Three attackers were also killed.
The third attack in Ishaq occurred when gunmen stormed the house of the Ishaqi Mobilization militia leader Numan al-Mujamaie, killing his wife and three children, but al-Mujamaie was not present. They later killed themselves with explosive belts when they were pursued by police.
The attacks occurred during the preparation for the Battle for Mosul. A failed rebellion occurred in Mosul on the day of the attack, and ISIS reportedly executed 58 people, and later 14 more. The attacks were the deadliest in Baghdad since the 2016 Karrada bombing in July 2016.
- Raheem, Kareem (15 October 2016). "Suicide bombing, shootouts kill around 55 in Iraq: police". Reuters. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Kareem Raheem & Ahmed Rasheed (15 October 2016). "Suicide bombing, shootouts kill around 55 in Iraq". Arab News. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Nearly 60 People Killed in Iraq by Islamic State Group Attacks". Tele SUR. 15 October 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Funeral Bombed in Baghdad; 88 Killed in Iraq". Antiwar.com. 15 October 2016. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Suicide bomber strikes Shia Muslim gathering in Baghdad - News from". Al Jazeera. 17 October 2016. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Adel, Loaa (16 October 2016). "Suicide attack targets Hussainiyah march under Jardiyah Bridge in central Baghdad". Iraqi News. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Adel, Loaa (16 October 2016). "ISIS massacres families fleeing to Sharqat, kills 12 including women and children". Iraqi News. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Adel, Loaa (16 October 2016). "Blast kills, wounds 3 volunteer soldiers near Baqubah". Iraqi News. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Adel, Loaa (16 October 2016). "IED explosion kills, wounds 9 civilians in Kirkuk". Iraqi News. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Rasheed, Ahmed (14 October 2016). "Exclusive: Islamic State crushes rebellion plot in Mosul as army closes in". Reuters. Retrieved 21 October 2016.