Blair Tower, north-east of Oakley
|OS grid reference||NT0388|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
The village was built in connection with the Forth or Oakley Iron-works (1846), now all gone along with the colliery industry. The iron-works, which ceased production many years ago, had six furnaces, with stacks 180 feet (55 m) high, and the engine-house was built with walls to comprise 60 cubic feet (1.7 m3) of stone below the surface of the ground. Subsequent to the Iron Works the buildings were used as a sawmill producing rough timber for railway sleepers, fence posts and the like. Comrie Colliery closed in 1986, and the village took many years to recover from this major employer's demise.
Amenities include: 3 parks, one of which is attached to the local community centre in the north of the village and has astroturf sports pitches available to the surrounding areas; Blairwood Park, Oakley United's football ground; a cycle track which was formerly a railway line that ran from Dunfermline to Stirling and provides access to the stunning local countryside; a Co-Operative which doubles as a Post Office; 2 hair salons; a bakers; a butchers; a pharmacy; 3 hot food takeaways; a café and a few other grocery stores.
Two burns merge in the village, the Oakley and Comrie Burns, providing another scenic walking area. The Oakley Burn, which runs right through the middle of the village, splits Oakley in two. There are adequate religious establishments; the Holy Name Catholic Church was designed by the prolific church architect Charles W Gray and contains magnificent stained-glass windows by Gabriel Loire, a French stained glass artist of the 20th century, is well subscribed to. The church was built in 1956–58 for Roman Catholic miners who moved from Lanarkshire to work in the more prosperous coalfields of West Fife. The Oakley Parish church is a slightly smaller church for those of Protestant denomination and is also used for various activities aimed at all ages.
The village is made up of a wide variety of housing with modern schemes in Comrie (// locally or // (
To the south lies Inzievar House once visited by Jules Verne, now converted into flats. There is a thriving broad wood industry operated by Scottish Woods in the estate.
There were two primary schools situated in Oakley, one Roman Catholic named Holy Name, the other Inzievar primary. However, recently a new building has been built which houses the library and both schools. This building is now Oakley Campus.
Oakley Health Centre provides a wide and comprehensive programme of health care including a dental surgery, podiatry clinic, physiotherapy clinic, and cardiology unit.
The library has limited opening hours and is situated within the Oakley Campus. Information resources including community information and reference materials are also available, as is access to the internet.
Stagecoach run the services 4 4a which run very often from the new Dunfermline Bus station from around 5.30am until around 23.45 pm.