ORP General Haller
ORP General Haller was a Filin-class guard ship originally built for the Imperial Russian Navy. She was later acquired by the Polish Navy and served until sunk during the Invasion of Poland on 6 September 1939.
ORP General Haller (model)
|Fate:||Sold to Poland, 1921|
|Name:||ORP General Haller|
|Fate:||Sunk, 6 September 1939|
|Class and type:||Filin-class guard ship|
|Length:||55 m (180 ft 5 in)|
|Beam:||7 m (23 ft 0 in)|
|Draft:||2.9 m (9 ft 6 in)|
|Speed:||14.5 knots (26.9 km/h; 16.7 mph)|
General Haller was built at Ab Crichton in Turku, Finland, for the Imperial Russian Navy. She was bought by the Polish Navy in 1921 and subsequently served as a school ship and minelayer. In Poland she was classified as kanonierka (gunboat).
On 1 September 1939, under the command of Stanisław Mieszkowski, General Haller was patrolling the port of Gdynia, where she was damaged in air attacks. On 2 September, the gunboat was sent to the naval port at Hel. There she was turned into a floating battery, until on 3 September, after major bomb damage, all the guns were stripped and added to the defences on land. She was left floating until she was sunk on 6 September.
- Gardiner, Robert, ed. (1985). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1906–1921. London, England: Conway Maritime Press Ltd. p. 319. ISBN 0-85177-245-5.