Nyhavn 1 and Store Strandstræde 2 were originally two separate properties. Store Strandstræde 2 dates from before 1731. Nyhavn 1 was built in 1753 for metalsmith Peder Jørgensen Ambus. Wine merchant Lars Fogh Rasmusen moved his business, founded two years prior, to Nyhavn 1 in 1776. In 1782, the company was taken over by Peder Handerup (born 1746) who had married Tasmussen's widow, Dorothea (née Helt). In 1792 the company was taken over by Johan Friderich Inselmann (1753-1798) and in 1798 by Niels Hansen (1769-1801). Niels Hansen's widow Bolette Kirstine (née Hvidberg) took over the operations after his death in 1801. In 1808, she married Frantz Diderich Jürgensen (1777-1840) who then took over the company. He merged Nyhavn 1 with Store Strandstræde 2 in 1817. The company was in 1840 taken over by their son-in-law Niels Ferdinand Lorck (1816-1844) and after his death in 1844 by their daughter Johanne Marie née Jürgensen with her brother , Hans Ludvig Jürgensen as manager. The company was taken over by Magnus Vilhelm Foght (1831'1894) in 1857 and by George Lorange om 1887. In 1896, it was acquired by Detlev Frederik Schnack. Royal Danish Theatre actor and chamber singer Peter Ludvig Nicolai Schram lived on the second floor of Nyavn 1 from 1860 to 1875.
The Thingvalla Line and later Scandinavian America Line had their sales office in the building. The ships departed from Amerikakaj in the Freeport. For a few years, White Star Line also had a sales office at Nyhavn 1. Fourteen people, two women and 12 men, bought tickets for RMS Titanic's maiden journey. The 12 men died while the two women survived its wreck.
Restaurant Barock is today based in the building.