Location within Antoine-Labelle RCM.
Location in central Quebec.
|Coordinates: 46°05′N 75°37′W|
|Constituted||January 1, 1876|
|• Mayor||Poste vacant|
|• Federal riding||Laurentides—Labelle|
|• Prov. riding||Labelle|
|• Total||958.50 km2 (370.08 sq mi)|
|• Land||862.55 km2 (333.03 sq mi)|
|• Density||1.8/km2 (5/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
The municipality is characterized by hilly forests with a great number of lakes, rivers, and creeks. Because of those nature gems, there are many cottages owned and built in the area. The eastern portion of its territory is part of the Papineau-Labelle Wildlife Reserve. Consequently, the local economy is dependent on forestry as well as on the influx of tourists, fishermen and hunters.
Between 1820 and 1849, the Hudson's Bay Company operated a trading post at the outlet of Sables Lake on the Du Lièvre River that controlled all the fur brigades from the upper Du Lièvre and Gatineau Rivers.
In 1873, the Notre-Dame-du-Laus parish was founded, named after the apparitions of Our Lady of Laus. In 1876, the place was incorporated as the United Township Municipality of Bigelow-Wells-Blake-et-McGill, and two years later the post office, which was named Notre-Dame-du-Laus, opened.
- Population in 2016: 1558 (2011 to 2016 population change: +2.6%)
- Population in 2011: 1518 (2006 to 2011 population change: -2.9%)
- Population in 2006: 1564
- 2001 to 2006 population change: 13.2%
- Population in 2001: 1382
- Population in 1996: 1378
- Population in 1991: 1244
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 791 (total dwellings: 1966)
- English as first language: 3.9%
- French as first language: 95.8%
- English and French as first language: 0.3%
- Other as first language: 0%
- Reference number 44882 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Geographic code 79005 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Notre-Dame-du-Laus census profile
- "Notre-Dame-du-Laus (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- Luc Coursol. "Municipalité, Les premiers occupants". Notre-Dame-du-Laus. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011, [[Canada 2016 Census ] census